The Virginia Beach Public Library’s annual summer reading challenge is back!

Read books and earn prizes 

Anna Grace Riegle, Design Editor

If you’re like me, you competed in a few summer reading challenges back in your elementary school days. Your parents would sign up for you, you’d log a few 60-page chapter books, and you’d forget to turn in your log sheet come September and miss out on the prizes. Now is your chance to redeem yourself.

Did you know that the reading challenges are for all ages? The Virginia Beach Public Library is hosting this year’s teen Summer Reading Challenge from June 7th to August 14th. It is open to teens thirteen to eighteen. You can compete on ‘normal’ or ‘hard mode’. ‘Normal mode’ challenges you to log five books, while ‘hard mode’ challenges you to log 10. Both challenges win you a Barnes and Noble gift card.

“Reading as a teen leads to success,” said Library Media Specialist Stephanie Young. “Reading expands your vocabulary, improves writing skills, and helps you broaden your horizons as you learn more about people and the world.  Reading can show teens that everyone has problems in their lives and may even help them to find solutions to their own problems.  Reading is not only enjoyable, but also helps you to score big on the verbal section of a college admissions test!”

The program is hosted by Beanstack, a site where you can log your reading, compete in reading challenges, and receive personalized recommendations based on the books you’ve logged. In order to participate in the summer reading challenge, simply make an account on Beanstack, select the reading challenge of your choice, and start logging your books! You can log by minutes or by the individual book. Once you sign up for the summer reading challenge, head to your local library to pick up your registration kit that includes a journal, snacks, and reading recommendations. 

The Beanstack home page looks like this. Log time, earn badges, and ultimately earn prizes from the library like free ice cream and more.

You do not have to have a library card to participate in the reading challenges, as your account is linked to your email, but there’s no better time than now to get a library card! It’s quick, easy, and free for Virginia Beach residents, sign up here. In addition to books, there are tons free resources you can access through the library.

“Virginia Beach City Public Schools and Virginia Beach Public Library have partnered to provide year-round digital public access to all K-12 students,” said Young. “With your student account, you have access to a huge digital library with ebooks, audiobooks, and many other resources.  Do you want to learn a new language?  Check out Rocket Languages.  Want to learn a new skill?  Check out Universal Class.  Curious about your family’s history?  Check out Ancestory.com.  All of these resources are free for you to use when you login with your VBCPS student account.”

There’s no better time than summer to start reading for pleasure: bring a book to the beach, read on vacation, spend your free time wrapped in a new story. 

A message from our librarians:

“With the school year coming to an end, summer 2021 is right around the corner. It feels like we are approaching the end of one chapter and the beginning of the next. Check out our new arrival bookshelf for some hot beach reads. Also, check out the Virginia Readers’ Choice selections for 2021-2022 as recommended by The Virginia State Literacy Association. If you read four books, you are eligible to vote in the spring! Be on the lookout for info about our Salem book club, Salem Reads, when we return in September.  Happy reading!”