Kpop: a harsh reality

Kpop stars suicide rates are alarmingly high

Misa Pang, Staff Writer

Kpop stands for Korean Pop music. It consists of popular Korean bands like BTS, Blackpink, and 2NE1. The songs of Kpop are usually happy and peppy but recently some horrible things in this industry have shed a concerning light on the pressures put on these stars.

Recently, the suicides of Jonghyun, a member of the top korean boy band Shinee, Sulli, a member of the popular f(x) and Goo Hara member of lesser known group called KARA have shaken the Kpop community.

Sm entertainment is a company that recruits people to either be solo artists or in a band like Shinee or f(x). Companies like this have managers for each group and can be very controlling. Some corporations will not even let the stars date.

All of the above artists had to work under harsh conditions to become Kpop idols. This includes a strict dieting regime. Park Bom of 2NE1 reportedly went on a watermelon diet, eating only watermelon for a period of days while at the same time doing harsh exercise routines and vigorous dance routines.

“I think the problem is very much caused by these companies not caring about their idols,” said freshman Brianna Savage. “These companies don’t focus on the idol’s mental health. They only care about image.”

Goo Hara was only 28 when she was found dead in her home six months after she survived a previous suicide attempt. Sulli took her life because the harsh comments and online hate became too much. Kim Jong-hyun killed himself through carbon dioxide poisoning in December at the age of 27 for the same reasons.

“It’s sad that they passed and let other people’s opinions get to them,” said freshman Leeian Lee.

An in depth look into the Kpop industry shows just how damaging their curriculum and training practices are. After entering training schools as teenagers, the artists are stripped from their phones, isolated from their family and friends, and lose the opportunity to form normal relationships.

Many Kpop stars are still living in pain and are facing constant abuse, but we turn a blind eye because the media shows us only the glamorous side of their lives. Kpop is only increasing in popularity and we must make ourselves aware of what these individuals go through to achieve their fame.