PJ Day Everyday

Senior Joy Kissell thrives in the online learning environment

Morgan Edwards, Staff Writer

Seniors generally look forward to the excitement of senior activities like prom, senior cruise, and graduation. Due to the pandemic, though, many of these events seniors so look forward to will not occur, or at least not in the traditional format. With online and hybrid school being the new normal for millions, it can be difficult to stay motivated, but senior Joy Kissell has managed to still be at the top of her class. 

On top of academics, Kissell is an active member of multiple clubs including Maelstrom, National Honor Society, and SCA. She has been in SCA since freshman year and worked her way up to the position of treasurer last year. 

Former SCA president and 2020 alum Morgan Brown loved working with Kissell in SCA. 

“She is very creative and able to think on the fly,” said Brown. “She brought a lot of energy to the table.”

Kissell’s hard work recently paid off when she was selected as a Brickell Scholar. She said she “was taken by surprise” and recognized that “it’s a great honor as there are only two per school.” The Brickell Scholarship awards her a one-year, five thousand dollar scholarship for college.

Since March of 2020, senior Joy Kissell has managed to maintain high grades and participate in extracurricular activities virtually. (Submitted by J. Kissell)

Believe it or not, Kissell was not always so outgoing and extroverted. She was quiet and not so quick to participate when she was younger. Kissell’s mom Julie believes that being in the Academy has helped Kissell become who she is meant to be.

“The thing that surprised me,” said Julie Kissell, “was she stopped being an introvert and really came out of her shell.” 

Online learning has made being able to participate in clubs and succeed in school more challenging than ever, but no matter what form of learning we are in, Kissell gives her all.  

Kissell suggests that all students “push yourself and do not underestimate yourself” and “take classes for you and not just because they are fun.” 

She also emphasized that it is important to “know your limits.” 

With new ways of learning sprouting every day, Kissell believes there is always a way to push yourself towards greatness. Kissell’s last piece of advice is “get sleep” and you too will be one step closer to your goals.