Diving into Coaching

Juliana Ratton takes 16 swimmers to States in her first year coaching

Alexis Grasso, Photography Editor

Ms. Juliana Ratton is taking on new roles as a new special education teacher assistant and assistant swim coach! Ratton moved to Virginia Beach from Austin Texas in June of 2020. Her favorite thing about coaching is the mentoring aspect and the impact she has on her swimmers. 

Coach Ratton keeps an eye on the pool during one of only three swim meets of the season. All swimmers and spectators had to wear masks whenever they were not in the pool. (Submitted by: H. Velzis)

“I feel like I have an opportunity to make them better people as well,” said Ratton

Since this is Ratton’s first time as a coach she never experienced coaching pre-COVID, but she does think there are a lot more rules than there would normally be. 

Although they had a very short season Ratton sees “so much potential for individuals and for the team.” Ratton wishes she had more time with the team so she could become a better coach and mentor, and make even better connections with the swimmers. The good news is that most of them will be returning next year

“The season was great,” said Ratton

Even though our swimmers only had two meets compared to their regular six, they dominated the pool. Along with veteran coach Marilyn Rowell, they sent Sixteen swimmers to states:

Seniors: Jordyn Keenan and Savannah Walker

Juniors:  Isabella Marks, Cierra Velzis, Cheyenne West, Dillon Bader, Trevor Nelson, and Evan Rufh

Sophomores: Myla Gorges, Marlee Riddle, Katherine Underwood, and Andrew Doughty

Freshman Khamani Brooks, Jacen Fletter, Dylan James, and Hunter Velzis.

Ratton intends to continue to coach swimming next season.