Fresh beats

Freshman Tyshawn Robinson inspires with his passion for music

Fresh+beats

Madison Mizroch, Staff Writer

Tyshawn Robinson is a freshman in the Visual and Performing Arts Academy. Robinson has had a passion for music ever since he was very young. At the age of two Robinson performed in his first competition at Harry’s O’s in Virginia Beach. He performed the song Billie Jean by Michael Jackson and took second place. 

Not only does Robinson love to sing, but he also loves to compose music with a positive message. Check out one of his recent songs here. His musical persona is Tokio Starr.

“Friends, family, and whatever is going on in my day really inspires me to make music,” said Robinson

Robinson started making music at the age of 11. He made beats off his phone and learned how to play the drums, bass, guitar, recorder, and the piano.  After the loss of his mother in 2017, he turned to music to help with his grief. 

“I make my own beats,” said Robinson. “I put them together until they sound nice and then I set a certain tone with them and everything starts flowing together.”

Robinson’s close family members enjoy listening to his music, and encourage him to keep producing more. 

“I love his music, love his beats and details” said Robinson’s step mom, Florence Knight. 

Robinson is working to get his music out there.

“You can access the majority of my music on soundcloud and a few on youtube and I’m trying to make it hit other platforms so more people can listen,” said Robinson

Those around him believe in him and think he is going far with his music.

“I think he will go pretty far, he has a lot of potential,” said Robinson’s friend freshman Sirius Jones.

Robinson has his own special touch. Check out another one of his songs here.

“What makes my music unique is my style and energy,” said Robinson. “Style is not over used.” 

Looking to listen to more of Robinson’s music. Check out his song Someone