Spotlights to desk lamps

VPAA student junior Nahom Gaines shares his experience with virtual theatre

Khristina Smith, Staff Writer

Before COVID, performer and actor junior Nahom Gaines spent his time on a stage in the spotlight. Due to the pandemic, the world of theatre has undergone a massive shift. 

“Performing has transformed from engaging an audience through exaggerated acting into more realistic performances and the audience is in your immediate vicinity,” said Gaines

Although Gaines has kept his devotion for theatre, it has been difficult for him to have motivation to express it. 

“I’ve maintained my passion, however this medium of performing has made it hard to find the motivation to express such passions,” said Gaines. “The medium is so drastically different then my preferred performance so it’s a struggle to connect.”

The disconnect between performer and viewer caused by the screen makes it harder for actors to maintain their motivation to perform, but our amazing theatre teachers Mrs. Sharon Byrd and Mrs. Christa Vogt have helped Academy students maintain their passion. 

“I enjoy creating content over film however to perform as if it were a theatre performance feels disingenuous,” said Gaines. “It’s not the same, so acting like it doesn’t give the same adrenaline. I enjoy film for its fun and stage theatre for its adrenaline, however this medium has neither.”

COVID has definitely changed things for actors and performers, but Gaines values the true meaning of theatre within himself, allowing him to keep his fascination with performing. 

“The theatre world has molded the person I am now, it crested my confidence and gave me joy that not many other things can,” said Gaines

Gaines is an inspiration to anyone who may have doubts about this new online setting, in regards to something they love. By keeping his head high, he has pushed through the hard times and allowed himself to be comfortable in uncomfortable circumstances.