New Guidance Counselor

Students welcome Mr. Lynch

Erica Munisar, Staff Writer

Welcome to our new counselor, Mr. Brian Lynch. A former member of the military and psychology student, Mr. Lynch has filled the shoes of the previous counselor, Ms. Taylor Mertz

Submitted by: B. Lynch

Lynch has taken the role of overseeing almost 400 senior students and helping them navigate their way through college applications during a pandemic and virtual learning. 

“This is difficult,” said Lynch. “I really enjoy working with and seeing my students. The virtual format really makes that difficult at times. It’s harder to do frequent check ins and to know for sure that my students are okay.”  

Lynch not only has to tackle the online format, but also learn the normal ins and outs of his new job.

“I am learning massive amounts of information,” said Lynch. “Part of that process is asking questions. While virtual, asking questions takes longer. Maybe I have to email or text a coworker. Maybe I have to stop what I am doing and make a phone call. In school, I can walk next door and get a quick answer from one of the other counselors.”

The virtual format also adds new layers to counselor’s jobs.

“Receiving phone calls about option changes and the health metrics is not something we would typically do,” said Lynch. “Fielding questions about technical issues with chromebooks and Schoology is something else we are not really trained to troubleshoot. It doesn’t take long to forward those emails or calls, but that takes us away from being able to do one on one or small group counseling.”

Lynch grew up in Sussex County Delaware in a town called Selbyville, which is located about 10-20 minutes away from the beach where he spent most of his childhood. Today he lives here with his 7-month old daughter, a “beautiful wife,” and two dogs, Jackson and Luna. Lynch loves to spend time outdoors backpacking and hiking, and also listens to music and plays a little bit of guitar in his free time.

Lynch played three sports growing up: baseball, football, and wrestling. 

“Those sports taught me the value of teamwork, commitment, work ethic, being coachable, etc,” said Lynch. “I love the lessons I learned from my time of playing and feel like anything that includes competition only makes you better as an individual. Ultimately, my sports background helped me get into college.”

He believes his parents played an important role in his life trajectory.

“I am a product of divorce…I wouldn’t exactly say that I loved my childhood, but I really feel that I was supported by both of my parents,” said Lynch. “My parents both have their own personal issues, but they have always been great parents. I always had food on the table, a warm bed to sleep in, rides to and from my sporting events, etc. The way I explain it to some people is that my parents aren’t necessarily great people, but they have been great parents.”

Lynch did not always know he wanted to be a counselor, but he has always been interested in people and helping them reach their potential. 

“In high school I started to notice some differences in some of my friends and teammates,” said Lynch. “I realized that some of my friends were more successful in school and athletics than others. Some had things outside their control holding them back. Some of my best friends never made it out of my hometown. They got wrapped up with the wrong crowd and never capitalized on their opportunities and potential.”

After going to Lebanon Valley College to major in History, Lynch switched to Psychology realizing this would help him reach his goal. It was then when he decided he wanted to be a school counselor.

“I realized that the best way for me to help students is on a one on one basis rather than as a teacher. I have come to realize that everyone is different. Everyone has their own story and path. They have their own skills, passions, and goals. I didn’t think I could be as effective in a classroom.”

After college, Lynch decided to go into the military because he loved to travel and would have the rest of his education paid for. He chose air traffic control in the Navy, and later enrolled at ODU for his masters degree in counseling. Meanwhile he coached football at Bayside High School before he ended up at Salem.

Amidst a pandemic, Lynch finds Salem to be a rewarding and wonderful place.

“My favorite thing about Salem so far, is the students,” said Lynch. “I have had some great conversations and interactions with my students. I really love mentoring, providing guidance, teaching life lessons, and helping students overcome obstacles. I have also really enjoyed my counseling team. As a new member of the team, I have a lot to learn. I feel that I am learning something new every day. My teammates have been nothing short of amazing, giving me the support I need, and answering the bajillion (I know that’s probably not a real number) questions I may have.”

Senior Joy Kissell has first hand experience having Lynch help her navigate her senior year.

“Mr. Lynch is great!” Kissell said. “He’s clearly passionate about what he does and is easy to talk to. He helped me fix my schedule, formulate a resume, apply for scholarships, and wrote college recommendations for me. He’s been super helpful throughout this year and a real pleasure to talk to.”

Lynch took a circuitous route to end up at his desk at Salem, but now he is thrilled to spend his days helping students reach their full potential.