A new era of school sports

Athletes reflect on the participating in sports during COVID

Morgan Edwards, Staff Writer

3…2…1: The buzzer goes off, the crowd goes wild, and in that moment everything stops.

Due to the pandemic, many student-athletes were unable to have that rush of excitement of winning a game or hearing the fans in the stands cheering them on. Students have expressed their dissatisfaction with the fact that they haven’t been able to play or have had significantly shortened seasons.

The cheer team takes a group photo after the football game against Princess Anne. The final score to the game was 12-6 in overtime. Submitted by: R. Tonn

Tennis player, senior Taylor Saunders is concerned about the spring season.

“The hardest part about not being able to play on the school team is that I can’t see my teammates,” said Saunders. “We are supposed to start soon, so I am hopeful that I will get to play,” said Saunders.

While some sports have yet to play, some have started their season and others have already completed them. Senior Reese Tonn is on varsity cheer and competition cheer and both are in the heart of their seasons. 

“We have to stay six feet apart while also wearing masks the whole time,” said Tonn. “We work out with them on, and stunt with them on. It is expected that we pick things up quicker and that we practice a lot more outside of school because the season is so short.” 

The adjustment hasn’t been easy. Junior Dana Potter is on both the gymnastics and volleyball teams. Gymnastics is over and volleyball is about to start. 

“The competition has become more divided and separated,” said Potter. “There’s no audience to cheer us on, and the competition itself becomes lengthened. One of the main details is wearing masks while competing.” 

Gymnastics thrives on the energy and support from peers, so according to Potter, having no one on the sidelines was a huge adjustment.

Even at the peak of the pandemic, it didn’t stop student-athletes from doing what they love while still making sure they stayed safe. 

Potter wants to let other athletes know that it is important to “remember to follow guidelines to restrict the spread of COVID-19 on and off the field/court.”

Being able to play during a global pandemic can be hard, but student-athletes and coaches are making it work despite the challenges.