Everybody’s a Homebody

Students share how they are staying busy in quarantine

Anna Grace Riegle, Staff Writer

We’re all at home. We’re all bored. Finding something to do seems like an impossible task, but for many students it’s an opportunity. From new art mediums to new workout routines to new shows, movies and video games, quarantine leaves students to discover themselves in hobbies, interests, and mediums. 

“I’ve always loved art and never got into the digital side of it all,” said sophomore Cory Coulson, who picked up digital art in recent months. “[So I] decided to mess around on the ipad we have at home.”

Digital art is a great medium for anyone who wants to get creative and Coulson has found a new favorite pass-time. 

“It can be fun for just messing around on a rainy day or [it can be for] serious art,” said Coulson

When we are left to no one but ourselves, we have no choice but to be our true selves and put our energy into things we really care about. Despite the stress of serious health risk, quarantine has been a peaceful time in the realm of self-discovery, because staying home erases the fear of judgement from others.

With no one there to judge her, sophomore Abbie Riegle found the confidence to start working out on her own time to improve both her physical and mental health. 

“I would recommend anyone to start working out because you do it at your own pace,” said Riegle. “You don’t need to focus on doing what everyone else does.” 

Sophomore Abbie Riegle started doing at-home yoga during the pandemic.  (Photo by: A. Riegle)

Quarantine is also a great opportunity for teens to pick back up old hobbies or rediscover past interests.

“I started reading a lot more,” said sophomore Mona Hosseini

Hosseini, like many others, finds herself with more free time than she’s ever had before. This has allowed her to immerse herself in the world of books. To her, reading is an escape from real-world stress and gives her time to herself. 

“Honestly I think reading sounds like it would be really boring,” said Hosseini. “But it’s good for anyone who wants a kind of escape from real life. It’s basically a TV show but better.”

A stack of sophomore Mona Hosseini’s favorite books.  (Submitted by: M. Hosseini)

Seize the moment and really let yourself flourish where you feel the most ‘you.’ Try that new instrument you’ve been eyeing, talk to the old friend you miss, listen to that album you used to love. There is no better time than now to be yourself and find your interests.