Lunching, 6 feet apart 

Pandemic creates need for a whole new system for lunch at school

Khristina Smith, Staff Writer

Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, schools have transformed to ensure everyone is safe and healthy. One of the most significant changes occurred in the cafeteria.

Students use a QR code to “sign in” at their lunch table in case contact tracers need to know where they were sitting if someone later tests positive for COVID. (Photo by: K. Trace)

Before the pandemic, students had “one lunch,” an hour of free time during their lunch period. Students had the freedom to do activities, including but not limited to; chatting with peers, playing games, catching up on homework, and hanging out in the gym. Now, there are four lunches so there are fewer students eating at one time. Students have to sit six feet apart in the cafeteria and check in with a QR code at their table so contact tracers will know where they sat if necessary. 

“For me personally, it hasn’t been great,” said junior Abigail Dear. “Social distancing and how it is set up is good for COVID and so I know that it is for the best, but I don’t know anyone in my lunch and because it’s only 20 minutes, it doesn’t seem like enough. For me it is really more like a break period where I can do work, listen to music, or just have a brain break. It’s a love hate relationship because I miss having that time with friends and being able to sit where we want in the school, but it is a nice break that I can use If I need.” 

One of the biggest changes for students is the difficulty of social interaction with the new lunch protocols.

Students sit six feet apart in the lunch room during the second week back at school. (Photo by: K. Trace)

“I can’t talk to anyone and for the first time in school, I just can’t wait for lunch to end so I can hurry up and get out,” said junior Jonah Holt. “It’s different from how I normally feel and nothing feels even close to normal. I’ve felt lonelier during lunch and a little more anxious.” 

The students we talked to generally dislike the new lunch scenario, but understand that it is necessary given our current circumstances.