Students continue to work during the pandemic

School may have gone virtual, but the majority of student jobs did not 

Benjamin Cruz, Staff Writer

The pandemic has affected high school students all over the country. Specifically, it has forced them to start thinking more like adults. One way this is reflected is that many still work, or even began working, during the pandemic. Each person has their own reason for working; some work to help support their families, others to save for their future, while still others to pay for current expenses.

Sophomore Abby Johnson works at Outback Steakhouse

“I chose to work so I could get my mind off the current situation and earn some extra money as well,” said Johnson.

By working now, Johnson is making sure she can thrive after the pandemic as well. Of course, health and safety on the job are a top priority.

“My job takes safety precautions very seriously and that has helped us [the workers] stay safe,” said Johnson.

Senior DaeQuon Shines works at Wendy’s. In May of last year, he received an award for excellent customer service. (Photo submitted by: D. Shines)

Salem students aren’t the only ones headed to work as soon as the school day is over.

Sophomore Cox student Audrey Barrett works two jobs, an office job and a side job dog-sitting.

“For me to stop working it would take more than a pandemic,” said Barrett.

Barrett is someone who values hard work and wants to grow from her experience. It’s clear to her that it’s more important to learn now rather than later so she is ready for the future.

“If you want to work and learn, you have to motivate yourself,” said Barrett. “I chose to work because the pandemic gave me an opportunity to find my work ethic and stick to it.” 

Some students believe that the cons of working during a pandemic outweigh the pros, but the majority of students we talked to felt the opposite. Students reported that a good job will employ proper safety precautions and help workers learn more about hard work and perseverance.