Wonder women

March is Women’s History Month

Wonder+women

Morgan Edwards, Staff Writer

Day by day women continue to break the gender barrier and prove their strength and intelligence. Women’s history recognition started as a week-long endeavor, but in 1995 Congress passed legislation requesting and authorizing the president to proclaim March of each year Women’s History Month. Each year has a different theme. In 2019 the theme was Visionary Women: Champions of Peace and Nonviolence. The 2020 theme was Valiant Women of the Vote and this year’s theme is Refusing to Be Silenced. 

“This month is important because it’s a time when we can reflect on the contributions made by women in the past as well as ones being made now and in the future,” said Rush. “Being a woman means everything to me; I wouldn’t trade it for the world. It means that I’m strong, powerful, beautiful, compassionate, and above all able to accomplish goals even in the face of adversity.” 

Check out the library for a display of books celebrating women’s history month. (K. Trace)

According to The Hechinger Report, 56% of college students are women and more women are taking on high power jobs. The most obvious example being Kamala Harris becoming the first female Vice President of the United States. Harris has shown women that at times things might be hard, but if you persevere you can achieve anything. 

“My biggest inspiration currently would be Kamala Harris because she’s broken a glass ceiling becoming the Vice President,” said Rush. “It’s incredibly inspiring seeing a woman holding power in a position that is historically dominated by men.” 

Women’s history month has been celebrated with book talks, film screenings, and even a historical reenactment. You can check out the film and video series on the government’s Women’s History Month website.

“I love being a part of a gender that’s so strong and powerful. Women are a Community!” said senior Abby Fedorowicz.

Senior Kara Cantic agreed.

“Women are some of the most powerful people in the world especially with the support of each other,” said Cantic

The position of women in American and in the world has changed drastically in the past few decades. The proportion of women in the labor force who had earned college degrees has nearly quadrupled since 1970 and women’s “place in the world” is constantly changing.

In the future, Fedorowicz hopes to see women “see more women in positions of power and hopefully the first female president.” 

The month of March is a time to remember and celebrate the struggle and determination of women in the past and the bravery and tenacity of women today.