The future of college admissions 

The college admissions process has changed, advice for underclassmen 

Andrew Mizroch, Sports Editor

According to the College Board, “nearly 2.2 million students in the class of 2020 took the SAT, essentially remaining level with the class of 2019.” However, because of  Covid-19, these numbers have significantly dropped for the class of 2021, and many colleges and universities are eliminating the SAT or ACT application requirement. The SunDevil Times investigated how the changes to college admissions have played a role in the lives of current seniors. 

“The admission process hasn’t really been much of a shocker to me since we were somewhat prepared to use the College Board for the application part of it,” said senior Veronica Kaibigan

With the constant changes being added every year to admissions, underclassmen need to stay on their toes. 

“I can’t really think of anything that really hindered the process other than maybe communicating with teachers for things such as letters of recommendation or advice,” said Kaibigan

Learning virtually has created some issues for the college admissions process amongst seniors and staff members, but perseverance is key. 

“The admissions process since the start of the pandemic has definitely been different since I wasn’t able to do college visits; however, I felt like I had way more time to complete my college applications and such since we’ve been virtual,” said senior Anna Koumbis.

It was an exciting day when senior Anna Koumbis’ acceptance letter to George Mason came in the mail. (Photo submitted by: A. Koumbis)

There have been some ups and downs for this senior class navigating the application process in the midst of a pandemic, but their advice can help underclassmen be more prepared for next year and beyond. 

“[Some advice I would give to underclassmen is that] timing is so incredibly important,” said Kaibigan. “Make sure to give anyone you are asking for letters of recommendation time. [Also,] teachers and guidance counselors will always be more than willing to help you, [so] don’t be anxious about bothering them.” 

It can be a bit scary going into senior year and figuring out how to complete all the processes needed for each specific college you are applying to. Some colleges need a certain amount of recommendations, while others may not even require any. Some will accept the Common Application while others won’t. Some require a personal statement, while others want you to respond to a particular prompt in a short essay. So, start to think about college now, and prepare yourself for what is to come. 

“I really haven’t done as much as I should,” said sophomore Kelsie Sharp. “The most preparation I have done is videoing my volleyball games to send to college scouts.” 

One thing that hasn’t changed is that colleges and universities are always looking for students who excel both inside and outside of the classroom. 

Senior Nathan Jedlick is one of those students that excels both in and out of the classroom. He has committed to play football for the Apprentice School next year. (Photo submitted by: N. Jedlick)

Maintaining a good grade point average (GPA) and participating in clubs and after school activities is one way to start your high school on the right track. Alas, for some individuals, getting a great score on the SAT or ACT is also a major priority. 

“I took the official SAT once, and honestly it depends on [your situation],” said Kaibigan. “For me, the colleges I applied for didn’t require me to add my scores in, but that of course doesn’t mean it wouldn’t help me in the end.”

Underclassmen are noticing the focus moving away from the SATs and ACTs. 

“Yes, obviously the SAT [and] ACT are important, but in recent years I feel like the importance of the SAT and ACT has declined,” said Sharp

Ultimately, the college admissions process is different depending on where you apply. Make sure to get the facts about the schools you plan to apply to in advance so you know what they require.