New teacher feature 

Getting to know new faces

Get to know nine “new” teachers. New is in quotation marks because a couple of these faces might be familiar. Ms Hayley Tabora has been with us, just in a different position and Mrs. Melissa Schappell previously taught here and has returned.

Drema L. Biron 

World Geography

Q: What brought you to Salem? 

A: I was looking for the right opportunity to get back into the classroom after a four year break and Salem came very highly recommended to me.

Q: What is your favorite thing about Salem so far? 

A: Everyone has been so welcoming and helpful, even when I ask a million questions.

Q: What is one thing about yourself you’d like to share with the Salem community (hobby, etc.)?

A: I love swimming, line dancing and I’m a huge MCU fan.

Jodie P. Burwell 

Cinema Studies, Performance Theatre, and Introduction to Theatre

Q: What brought you to Salem? 

A: Moved here from Texas in 2019 (military family), worked at Princess Anne Middle last year, and I wanted to work at a high school that supported the arts so I knew I needed to be here.

A: The amount of just purely talented individuals who not only attend here but teach here as well. 

A: I just recently started learning to play pool and I’m not very good at it but it’s fun! 

Spenser C. Garcia 

Math – Algebra I

Q: What brought you to Salem? 

A: My fiancée grew up in Virginia Beach, and we wanted to move closer to family and the ocean. I was looking forward to working in a larger school with a strong sense of community with both students and staff.

A: It has been great to get to know my students and coworkers a little bit each and every day.

A: I love jigsaw and crossword puzzles!

Raquel C. Lucas 

Special Education, and Collaborative Teacher for AFDA and Geometry Series

Q: What brought you to Salem? 

A: I’m a 1997 Salem graduate 

Q:What is your favorite thing about Salem so far?

A: The sense of community and acceptance 

A: I love line dancing.

Dustin R. Maghan 

9th Grade Health & PE. 10th Grade Health PE/Driver Education

Q: What brought you to Salem? 

A: I’ve always wanted to teach/coach at the high school level, and heard a lot of great things about Salem staff and students.

A: My favorite thing is how supportive the staff is, and how creative the students are.

A: I coach travel soccer, and Girls Varsity Soccer here at Salem. I like to play golf in my free time, and I still play in a soccer league currently.

Kerri L. Manyo 

Math- Algebra 2 and Geometry 

Q: What brought you to Salem? 

A: I heard this was a school with a great community and strong students.  Very happy that both these things are true. 

A: I love that everyone is so helpful and willing to take a minute to talk with you.  Building positive relationships is key right now. 

A: I enjoy running, knitting, and reading. 

Kristyna A. Oyola

9th-grade Health & PE and Subbing 

Q: What brought you to Salem? 

A: I graduated from the VPAA program. I have always seen this place as my home! 

A: I love being able to work with staff members who helped me through my journey at Salem. 

Q: What is one thing about yourself you’d like to share with the Salem community (hobby, etc.)? A: I love coaching Field hockey in my free time! 

Melissa A. Schappell 

VPAA Visual Art: Art History & Production, Ceramics/Sculpture, Painting & Mixed Media, Senior Synthesis 

Q: What brought you to Salem?  

A: I wanted to come back to my home away from home

A: The students and their creative spirits

A: I am a practicing artist.  www.melissaschappell.com

Hayley N. Tabora 

World History I Inclusion, Reading Development

Q: What brought you to Salem? 

A: My mother worked here, my brother graduated from here and I substituted here and loved it!

A: The staff have been so welcoming and inviting and made me feel really comfortable.

A: This will be my 7th year as the Salem High School softball coach and it is my 5th year with Salem field hockey.

Chonise M. Thomas 

English as a Foreign Language I, II & ESL Effective Reading

Q: What brought you to Salem? 

A: After teaching music for the past 4 years, I wanted to try working with the EL population. I never thought I would end up teaching high school, but here I am! I must say I enjoy this age group. 

A: My students. They are hard working, sweet and I enjoy their presence.

A: I’m a performer. I can sing in several different languages but am only fluent in Spanish. I studied classical voice and Spanish in college. In my spare time (whenever I can find some) I participate in shows. I’ve worked with the Hurrah Players for about 7 years now.