We will wave goodbye to five staff members at the end of this year

2021 retirements

Jesse Wallenburg-Cooksey, Staff Writer

Thus far five staff members have announced that they will retire at the end of the 2021 school year. Let’s take a moment to learn a little more about what made their years at Salem special and what they plan to do in their retirement.

Charles Ballou 

Photo by: J. Wallenburg-Cooksey

36 years Teaching, 17 at Salem 

Q: What has been your favorite Salem memory?

A:  “Interacting daily with staff and students.”

Q: How do you plan to spend your retirement?

A: “I plan on traveling to Europe, Caribbean, and out West to ski. On the homefront, spending time with the things I love most- my wife and our dog “Max”.”

Ann Bissell 

25 years Teaching/Administrating, 3 at Salem 

A: “Watching the ADC Holiday Showcase in 2018 (my first year at Salem) had to be a highlight of my time here. The talent that our students displayed that day took me to tears. Besides the students performing, the respect that the audience displayed throughout each performance was amazing to me. Salem is a very special place with an amazing student body and a phenomenal staff. I have been so fortunate to be a part of the SunDevil community.“

A: “I plan on fishing and spending as much time as possible on the water with family and friends in sunny Southwest Florida. If I am not on the water, I will be enjoying a great book inside with the A/C cranked up.”

Kristen Rohr 

Photo by: J. Wallenburg-Cooksey

28 years Teaching, 22 at Salem HS

A: “9/11/2002 Salem had a special assembly to honor/remember the one-year anniversary of the attacks on 9/11/2001. We gathered the whole school outside in the bleachers on the football field at 8:50 am. After a moment of silence, where all 2000 of us were quiet, the band played the National Anthem. A lot of students were singing along, but it seems the WHOLE School joined in with the last lines, ‘Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there. Oh say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave? O’re the land of the free and the home of the brave!’  We were 2000 strong and united. Remembering it still gives me proud chills.”

A: “Traveling and visiting family.”

Sara (Sally) Scarborough 

36 years Teaching, 31 at Salem 

A: “I have really enjoyed being at Salem. I love the students and the people I work with, watching the games and the performances, the bands and the pep rallies. I love any time I can watch the students interact and compete. I used to coach field hockey here and I was always really proud of my teams, whether they won or not. I still have contact with a lot of those players and I am really proud of the great adults they have become. Salem pride!! I also love how Salem students support each other and look out for each other … it’s pretty cool. Love my black and RED!!”

A: “Traveling, Volunteering, riding my bicycle, and kayaking – just being outside and hanging with family and friends. I will probably also get a part-time job. I can’t imagine just sitting around.”

Michelle (Mikki) Sturgis 

Photo by: J. Wallenburg-Cooksey

26 years Teaching, 13 at Salem 

A: “The students and the relationships I have made with them.  I am still in contact with many graduates and it is so exciting to see where life’s journey has taken them and how they have grown into incredible individuals as a result of being a SunDevil!”

A: “Not sure, but paddle boarding, boating, and fishing are top priorities!”