Getting to know Mayor Bobby Dyer

Robert M. Dyer answers questions from students

Erica Munisar, Staff Writer

Robert M. “Bobby” Dyer has served as Mayor of Virginia Beach since 2018; however, despite the many jobs that he must do as a government official, he is still a real person just like us. The goal of this interview was to get to know the mayor beyond his political persona.

A Google Form was sent to all social studies teachers encouraging students to submit questions for our public officials. The SunDevil Times poured through the submissions and selected what we felt were the top questions for the “collective interview.” 

Every question has the name of the student who asked it above, and the Mayor’s answer below. 

Thank you for your time Mayor Dyer!

Senior Erica Munisar asks…

For the students who are inspired by you, what steps should a student take if they want to work in the government one day?

“Always volunteer and work in areas that build your experience and resume.  If you follow your passion it will never feel like work.”

Senior Erica Munisar asks…

We want to know more about you as a person outside you the politician. What are your hobbies? Do you have a favorite food? Favorite TV show or movie?

“I enjoy playing Racquetball – and I need to get back on the court – COVID has not been kind to the waistline!  My favorite foods are pizza and bacon cheeseburgers. (another reason I need racquetball).  My favorite TV show is Ridiculousness on MTV and my favorite movies are the Naked Gun movies – since Leslie Nielsen is my doppelganger.”

Teacher Cindy Kube asks…

What Virginia Beach community initiatives do you think high school students should be aware of?

“MYLA the Mayor’s Youth Leaders in Action have been working with the Season for Nonviolence Collective on several projects, most recently the Seeds of Hope Mental Health and Wellness Art Project.  There are a multitude of volunteer opportunities in our City. I would encourage you to look at our Boards and Commissions as many of them have Student Members.”

Senior Adelina O’Con asks…

How did your time in the military prepare you for your current career path?

“The Marine Corps motto is: “Adapt, Improvise and Overcome.”  My time in the Marines taught me that while a challenge can seem insurmountable, there is always a different way of looking at that challenge.  Sometimes that means bringing in people who see it through an alternate lens of experience and sometimes it means that you have to take a different approach that may take more time.  I have learned to use this motto throughout my career to help guide me.”

Senior Adriel Tabilin asks…

Why did you enter public service?

“I have a passion to serve.  I have been a physical therapist for four and half decades and love working with people from all walks of life.  I do not see myself as a politician – I am a public servant here to give back to my community.”

Sophomore Anya Kohler asks…

What is it like having a personal life with the job you have, do you have time for yourself and family?

“Being Mayor was a bit overwhelming my first year. I had a full time job as a Physical Therapist and the only thing about the Mayor that is “part-time” is the pay – so I was very busy. But I did manage to find a balance and it made me appreciate my time with family and friends even more.”

Junior Ava Slutsky asks…

What would you say has been one of the toughest decisions you’ve had to make this past year due to Covid-19?

“Making the decision to cancel events such as the Shamrock Marathon, Neptune Festival and Something in the Water.  Our cultural events bring people together into one shared experience and they deepen our appreciation for our diverse population and our cultural and historical heritage.”

Junior Cailee Nichols asks…

What have you struggled with the most in your career?

“Realizing that oftentimes you will not be able to reach a consensus, and making certain that you are doing the right thing for the right reasons.”

Junior Julian Sagayno asks…

What is your favorite thing about your job?

“The ability to serve and help people. I get the unique opportunity to interact and work with people from all over our City and region and I feel like I learn something new about our City and citizens every day.”

Freshman Mackenna Wyckoff asks…

How can a high schooler such as myself get involved in politics?

“Find a candidate whose values align with your own and volunteer to work on their campaign.”

Junior Natasinh Phath asks…

How do you de-stress after work?

“Honestly, I go home, play with my pups, and watch a TV show or movie with my wife, Trish.”

Junior Natasinh Phath asks…

What is your favorite thing to do around Virginia Beach?

“I love attending ribbon cuttings or grand openings for small businesses. It is encouraging to speak with people who have put their faith, hard work, and perseverance to create something that they are passionate about.”

We requested that Mayor Bobby Dyer share a picture showing him as a person and not just a politician. He selected this picture of himself with his pups Daisy, Jake and Oscar. Oscar passed last year, so this picture is very special to the him.
(Photo submitted by: B. Dyer)

We are so grateful for Mayor Dyer for giving us a glimpse into what it is like to be the Mayor of Virginia Beach as well as who he is as a person.

The SunDevil Times has reached out to a number of government officials. You can read our interview with VBCPS School Board Chair Carolyn Rye here, and check back for more articles like this soon.