Virtual Learning reflection

How we adapted and continue to adapt to virtual learning 

Andrew Mizroch, Sports Editor

Millions of students across the country have either been forced or chosen to learn from home this year because of Covid-19. Virtual learning has been difficult for many students. Finding an area to work in effectively at home and staying on top of your grades is no small task. 

Sophomore Jasmine-Love Bugarin works comfortably in her living room. (Submitted by: J. Bugarin)

“One of the ways I adapted to this style of learning was actually teaching one of my younger cousins online,” said sophomore Jasmine-Love Bugarin. “I would get the feel of being a teacher and studying his habits when it comes to learning, especially since we have similar learning and working habits. Honestly, I feel like there is still a lot to learn.” 

Working well with others and having communication skills are just as important in this new style of learning as they are in face-to-face learning; however, technology can hinder these skills entirely if learning programs (Zoom, Google Meetings, and Adobe Connect) are not functioning properly. 

Junior Jesse Park takes notes for AP US History at his at home work space. (Submitted by: J. Park)

“I learned that you have to be prepared for anything, like Zoom or Schoology not working or other factors that hinder the learning environment,” said junior Jesse Park.

Freshman Jacen Fletter agrees.

“I definitely have learned patience,” said Fletter. “ Working from home can be stressful for teachers and students. For instance, if Zoom isn’t working you just have to be patient and hope that you or your teacher can find a way to fix it.” 

Having good Wi-Fi connection, and being patient can make online learning much easier. It may be frustrating at times, but thinking about the big picture can make a difference. 

“I find that one of the big positives of working from home is how we are in the comfort of our own home,” said Bugarin. “Although it is positive for some, it can be a negative from the fact that we have urges to lay down and go to sleep in our beds, or we can get distracted easily. It is a blessing, yet a curse.”

Students who have chosen to remain virtual all year need to find out what works for them.

“For positives, I get to sleep more, and I have more freedom to manage my time and work throughout the day,” said Park. “Negatives would be that there are more distractions.” 

Learning from home allows us to be easily distracted by our phones, TVs, and beds. These distractions, however, can be mitigated with a proper learning environment. 

“I would say my work area is wise,” said Fletter. “I usually work in my father’s office which is free from distraction and has most materials I would need during the school day.” 

Having a set area to do your schoolwork and homework can be helpful for all students regardless of whether they are virtual or face-to-face. 

“Specifically on technology, I find the working environment perfect because we do not have to keep track of papers, and since the work is all on our electronics and straight to our drive, we can simply search up what we need,” said Bugarin. “Physically, my work area works on most occasions since I am away from my bed.” 

Students will never again have to scramble for lost papers, and this will make focusing on class less difficult. 

“I wouldn’t say [that my learning environment is] great, but [it is] decent enough to where if I want to focus and get things done, I can make it happen,” said Park

Another challenge of being an all virtual student is trying not to remain sedentary all day.

“I would say to get up and walk around the house in between classes or whenever possible, and don’t just be on your phone,” said Park

Keeping yourself occupied throughout the day and moving around the house will help you from getting too lethargic. 

“Some advice I would give is to find a remote learning area so you can pay attention to class as it is harder to pay attention because we are virtual,” said Fletter

While it is not very good to be staring at a screen all day, online learning offers a way for students to connect with their classmates and teachers from home. So, if you’re virtual, turn on your computer, and hop on to the Zoom call. Or even if you are a face-to-face student, but you’re feeling a little under the weather, you can join your classes virtually and not fall behind.