Learning from home is one thing, teaching from home is another

Mrs. Sarah Clark is one of a handful teachers teaching virtually

Kyleigh Wanzelak, Staff Writer

AP Psychology and US/VA History teacher, Mrs. Sarah Clark is one only a few teachers who have remained completely virtual for the school year. Despite the tough decision, she recognizes the benefits that have come with this year’s changes and being all virtual.

“I am surprised that I have loved teaching virtually,” said Clark. “I have been able to support individual students in a way that I never had been able to before.”

The technology the district provides has been a huge help in terms of teaching online.

AP Psychology and US/VA History teacher, Mrs Sarah Clark has a designated work space set up in her house for virtual teaching. (Photo submitted by: S. Clark)

“I am glad that Virginia Beach has really focused on integrating technology into instruction over the last several years or I would have been really lost this year,” said Clark.

While Clark makes sure to keep a positive attitude, there are some things she misses about being in the building.

“I miss students spontaneously sharing their thoughts on what we are learning or funny things that happened during their days,” said Clark. “I also miss being able to chat with colleagues during the day.” 

Changes in the school system resulting from COVID have been hard for everyone. Despite this, Clark is happy with how things are working in her “classroom.”

“Overall, I am glad that I have the opportunity to remain virtual. This experience with virtual instruction may have opened a world of exciting opportunities for teachers and students.”

When it comes to the future, Clark hopes students and teachers will continue to have online options. She recognizes that everybody has preferences and approaches that work best for them.

“I would really love to see Virginia Beach continue to offer a variety of virtual options for students. I have seen students that have traditionally struggled in school really thrive during virtual instruction,“ said Clark.