Find Yourself in a Good Book

LGBTQ representation in literature

Anna Grace Riegle, Staff Writer

In an oversaturated industry of TV, books, games, and movies, media that accurately and positively portrays LGBTQ individuals is difficult to find. Kids, teens, and adults who are curious about or are struggling with their own identity benefit from this kind of media. It can help them to feel seen, self reflect, and learn about different lifestyles. 

Currently, hardly any LGBTQ media is written, created, or performed by LGBTQ creators. It has taken long enough for queer people to be represented in TV and movies at all, but these stories still are rarely told by LGBTQ people themselves, because the industry is dominated by cisgender heterosexual men. Homophobia and transphobia also aren’t uncommon in Hollywood.

Teens need positive and accurate LGBTQ representation. Identity is complicated and confusing, especially when you are a young person struggling to navigate the world. We turn to all forms of media to figure out our own lives, whether that be movies, TV, books, social media, or video games. And when that media is inaccurately depicting the stories we are trying to process, it’s hard to know what to think. 

“It’s important for the LGBTQ community to feel represented in the media because it gives them characters or ideas that they can relate to and helps them realize that they aren’t alone in whatever situation they’re dealing with,” said sophomore Stephen Sandusky.

I think there is something powerful about seeing yourself in something or someone even before you realize that’s who you really are. I consumed queer media far before I came to terms with my identity as a member of the LGBTQ community. I saw myself in LGBTQ characters. Realizing how much I loved these characters for who they are was incredibly comforting. These characters were cool and complex and being able to read about their experiences was so important to my own experience. 

In recent months, I’ve picked up reading for pleasure again. As I picked out almost 150 books to read, I realized that over 100 of them followed LGBTQ characters, yet they told so many different kinds of stories. 

From queer-coded classics to explicitly queer love stories, good LGBTQ books are not so hard to find. Books and movies with LGBTQ characters can be a safe haven for those who identify with the LGBTQ community, but that doesn’t mean that this media is only for people who identify LGBTQ. Watching films or reading books with characters that represent all different types of humanity can be enlightening and entertaining for anyone. 

From coming-of-age comedies to lush fantasy worlds, stories of LGBTQ people are diverse in the world of books. Many of the books I’ve read this year have centered around LGBTQ characters, so I’ve created a list of recommendations for LGBTQ friendly books. 

Anna Grace’s LGBTQ friendly book recommendations.

Please note that these opinions are my own and not the opinions of Salem High School, nor is Salem promoting these books. (Acronym key: MLM: Men who love men, WLW: Women who love women)

Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me  ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (WLW relationship)

Laura Dean Keeps breaking up with me is a graphic novel by Mariko Tamaki that follows a high school girl navigating a toxic relationship with another girl. Through this, she’s able to learn about herself and what she really wants in a relationship. I loved every second of this book. It’s messy, it’s complicated, but it’s real.

Her Royal Highness  ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (WLW relationship)

Her Royal Highness is a novel by Rachel Hawkins about a teenage girl named Millie who receives a scholarship for her dream school, a fancy boarding school in the highlands of Scotland. She ends up rooming with a real-life princess who immediately despises her. Putting months of bickering and snide remarks aside, the girls become inseparable and maybe more than friends? This book was so cute! I really enjoyed it because it was simply a story about a girl falling in love with a girl. 

Revolutionary Girl Utena  ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (WLW relationship)

Revolutionary Girl Utena is a manga series by Chiho Saito. The series follows Utena Tenjo, a teenage girl who was saved by a prince in her childhood, and has since committed to saving princesses by being a prince herself. In an attempt to find the prince that once saved her, she enrolls in his alma-mater, and accidentally involves herself in the overpowered student council after winning a duel that would engage her to a girl named Anthy Himemiya. Anthy is the Rose Bride, who holds great importance to the future of the world, and it is up to her fiancé to protect her and her power. Utena notices Anthy’s discomfort in her situation, committing to protect and support her, and their relationship slowly blooms into something deeper than a friendship. This series has absolutely beautiful artwork and a story that’s simple yet so addicting, making it one of my favorites.

I Wish You All the Best by Mason Denver  ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (Masculine non-binary representation)

“I Wish You All the Best” is a book BY a non-binary person ABOUT a non-binary person. Ben uses they/them pronouns and the story doesn’t feel like that was slapped in to earn an extra demographic’s appeal. They, and the people around them are all learning what it means to be non-binary. 

Carry On by Rainbow Rowell ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (MLM relationship, Bisexual and Gay representation)

Red, White, and Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston  ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (MLM relationship between a bisexual man and a gay man, female bisexual side characters)

Heavy Vinyl by Carly Usdin  ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (multiple WLW relationships, lesbian representation)

Mooncakes by Suzanne Walker ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (Non-binary representation, non-binary character in a relationship with a queer woman)

Heartstopper by Alice Oseman ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (MLM relationship, WLW and MLM side characters, transgender girl side character)

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (MLM relationship)

I Will Be Okay by Bill Elenbark ⭐️⭐️⭐️ (MLM relationship)

Running with Lions by Julian Winters ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (Bisexual and gay representation)

Radio Silence by Alice Oseman ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️  (Bisexual and asexual representation)

Fence (graphic novels) by C. S. Pacat and Johanna the Mad ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (MLM relationship)