Step to the beat

Music’s impact on students

Benjamin Cruz, Staff Writer

Music is an extremely popular topic of discussion particularly among members of the Visual and Performing Arts Academy.

“Listening to music is an everyday thing for me,” said sophomore Amarion Cross.

According to the Seattle newspaper Seattlepi, 87 % of 12-17 year-olds listen to music as a method to balance out studying or other activities. Different people like different genres of music and have different tastes. Additionally, different types of music are useful at different times and in different situations.

“I enjoy pop because I like music that gets me excited or puts me in a good mood,” said sophomore Olivia Stanton.

Teens often match their current mood with a specific song and the emotions behind the song get amplified. 

“I listen to music just to relax or block out noise so I can keep to myself,” said Cross. “It helps to keep my mind off other things that bother or stress me out.” 

According to an article on the University of Nevada, Reno website, music has always been a way for students to improve their emotional state or current state of mind. Most people have some form of stress in their lives and music is a way for them to eliminate some of those stresses. 

Sophomore Amarion Cross listens to music during third block before P.E. starts. (Benjamin Cruz)

“Music plays a very large role in my life,” said Stanton, ”I’ve met some of my favorite people through music and I wouldn’t change it for the world.”

An article on Frontiers further asserts that music is one of the most common things in everyday life. Whether that be singing, playing instruments, or listening to music. It is a social activity that helps connect people and gives individuals something to have in common.

Music has also been around for a very long time. The fact that it’s always changing makes it have one of the most expansive audiences and further drives home the fact that it helps connect people.