Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage 

A look at three different cultures within our own school community

Asha Cooper, Editor in Chief

May was Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage (AAPI) month. It is important to recognize the impact and importance that the AAPI community has in America and to appreciate their culture. As a member of the AAPI community myself, it is exciting to be able to share and embrace aspects of my culture at any time of the year, but May was especially important to bring awareness and create unity. 

Below are Q&A responses that represent just a few cultures here at Salem.

Namarta Sharma, Indian Heritage

What does it mean to you to be Indian?

“For me, being Indian means being courageous

Growing up I learned of the many hardships my great grandmother faced, but also learned of the brave, independent person she became, which made me feel proud and confident to be her great granddaughter. Indian’s (especially Indian women) have always been strong willed and valiant in front of many challenges which is why I think to be Indian means to be courageous.”

Are you or your family first generation or immigrants? If so, when did your family come to the states?

“I’m a first generation immigrant along with my parents. My father moved to the states in his early twenties with my grandparents while my mom and I moved to the U.S in 2010.”

What are some parts of your culture that you would like to share? 

“I think the aspects of my culture that I’d like to share the most are Hindu astrology, Bollywood movie soundtracks, Holi (a holiday), and momos (dumplings).”

What was it like living in India? What are the similarities and differences between there and the US?

“What I do remember about India is how easy it was to get close to people. All of our neighbors were like a big family and always willing to look out for each other. Neighbors would always offer to watch after me when my mom was busy so I felt like I had multiple homes, families, etc. I think this is one of the many differences between the U.S and India because when I moved here at the age of 7, I had a difficult time adjusting to the new community and finding a place/group in which I felt comfortable and wanted.”

What is it like to be a part of two different cultures (Indian and American)? What are the benefits and what are the struggles?

“Being a part of two different cultures I was able to learn more about many types of people, as well as their ideals and values, but struggled to properly understand either one fully. To this day I still struggle with learning about my parents’ religion and have missed out on many cultural holidays which makes it difficult for me to feel like I completely belong. I feel as though this is how many Indian American teenagers might feel when they don’t have access to groups or communities that allow them to learn about their culture and heritage in America so this feeling is really common. However, a benefit I can think of is that I’m able to share my culture with others such as friends and neighbors which is an amazing feeling.”

What is it like to be a member of the AAPI community in America right now?

“I am not a direct member of the majority of AAPI that have been receiving (increased) hate recently, but it still makes me feel anxious and more angry. Though I might not be someone to receive hateful treatment, it angers and worries me that so many of my friends may have been met with such behavior from others. It’s scary.

In light of recent hate towards the AAPI community, would you like to say anything in order to bring awareness to this?

“For bystanders that observe hate crimes/speech happen but don’t do anything because they think their actions have no effects, know that by interfering the slightest bit to distract or dismiss the attacker you could be saving a person from extreme anxiety and possibly deescalating a dangerous situation.

It’s important to know the power of education. If you’re unaware of ways to help the AAPI community, learn about the history of Asian American discrimination or search for organizations to learn more from. There are endless resources you can use to help, just put in the effort and time to be an ally.”

Is there anything else at all you would like to add?

“I think it’s really important that parents teach their children to appreciate and respect other cultures‘ food. Because disrespectful remarks from a nine year old may push children away from their own ethnic foods and culture.”

Adriel Tabilin, Filipino Heritage

What does it mean to you to be Filipino?

“It means to be humble, to be a good person, and to have good taste in food.”

“My dad came to America in 1988, and my maternal grandparents came in the 90’s. They became coworkers with my dad and that’s how he met my mom. My parents got married in 2000 and then my mom came here in 2001.”

The cuisine is extremely good, but also very underrated. We have learned how to utilize whatever the islands give us to make incredible food, and we’ve learned a multitude of ways to cook a pig. Also, in general the people are really nice and masters of hospitality.”

What was it like being in the Philippines? What are the similarities and differences between there and the US?

“I went as a toddler, in 4th grade, in 6th grade, in 7th grade, in 10th grade, and most recently at the beginning of junior year. Although the Philippines was part of the United States once, it’s still quite different. Where my family comes from, it’s a small beach town with beautiful scenery. The times where I have been to the big metropolitan area of Metro Manila also feels different from America.”

What is it like to be a part of two different cultures (Filipino and American)? What are the benefits and what are the struggles?

“Being part of two cultures is a unique experience. Being the son of immigrants and knowing the hardships my family and many other Filipinos in a developing country have has shaped my worldview and put things into perspective for me. The Philippines is a more culturally traditional/conservative society compared to America, and being informed of the two cultures and the news that happens in both countries helps me think more rationally and not feel so one-sided or eccentric about the problems of just one culture. Virginia Beach is my home. I was born, raised, and plan to build my career here. The Philippines is also my home, but in a different way. Even though I don’t speak the language and was born in America, I feel this ancestral, cultural, and spiritual connection with the Philippines that makes me feel at peace. The struggle of being part of both is that you become aware of the problems and controversies in America, the Philippines and in the Filipino/Asian American community and it’s tiring.”

“Being part of the AAPI community in America feels new to me. Growing up, all the Asian people I knew were Filipino. It wasn’t until 8th grade and high school I met non-Filipino Asians and I can kinda relate to them easily being a child of Asian immigrants, having a unique cuisine, and sometimes feeling like a cultural outcast. With the rise in Asian hate, I can only relate and feel more compassion and empathy for them. Not just as Asians, but as human beings.”

“Asian hate, I believe we as a society have all collectively swept under the rug, including by us Asians. We know hatred and racism is real; we’ve all experienced it. Whether if it was a mild joke about how we can’t drive, or a snarky comment about how our food smells. But in the Asian community, we’ve been taught by our parents and elders who have been through their own hardships to just endure it. Don’t get confrontational, don’t get in a fight, just bow down, don’t bring any attention to yourself, just move along life quietly, and go back to studying so you can make a better life for yourself. And for the longest time, we as young people have all somewhat subscribed to that philosophy. However, recent proof of asian hate and violence has shown that it has only gotten worse.”

“I don’t think anyone truly enjoys this. The unity among Asians and the support from non-Asian communities is great, but this shouldn’t even be happening in the first place. We just want to be treated like people.”

Leo Guo, Chinese Heritage

What does it mean to you to be Chinese?

“For me, being Chinese means being part of a country with one of the oldest histories still standing, and it does lend me great pride to be within such a rich culture.”

“My parents immigrated from China when they were young adults and left everything behind to do so, so if that’s the definition of first generation then I am one. I think both of them came like 20-30 years ago and started working restaurant jobs to make a living.”

“So I’m woefully ignorant of a lot of things Chinese because I simply never grew up around it, but there’s a particular dish I like called yuán xiāo (元宵) that’s basically like dumplings but the wrapping around it is a lot stickier and softer, so it kind of feels like chewing gum, but actually edible and the contrastingly robust cohesiveness of the meat inside makes it absolutely great to eat.

As for music, I’ve got a taste for the 80-90s pop music of Teresa Teng (邓丽君) and related singers because my mom ingrained it within me from a young age. Nowadays the Chinese music I hear mostly grates on my ears, but that may be due to how overplayed they are on my mom’s Douyin (TikTok). I’ve always wanted to try out wearing traditional Chinese clothing, Hanfu (汉服), but I’ve simply never gotten around to doing it. I’d imagine it feels like the graduation gown, but heavier and not as floaty.”

Have you traveled to China? What are the similarities and differences between there and the US?

I was actually there for three years, starting from when I was a few months old. I’ve visited since a few times to my hometown of Fuzhou (福州) and honestly it doesn’t feel much different from a metropolitan city in the US, it’s just that the signs are in different languages, the people are different, there’s a lot of old gum on the street, the buses smell a little weird, and the boba shops are simply on another level; however, being restricted on the internet was a massive bummer. And sleeping on a hard bed took some getting used to but I got there. Also the shopping malls and supermarket-type stores there are mind-bogglingly massive, like they have literally everything and smell oddly great.”

What is it like to be a part of two different cultures (Chinese and American)? What are the benefits and what are the struggles?

“It’s kind of hard reconciling the two since I feel like I’m a part of both but at the same time I don’t feel like I wholly belong to one or the other, you know? And like I don’t feel the same kind of patriotism others feel when celebrating certain holidays, but I mean, I can’t complain about the food so…”

I’m concerned for my parent’s safety but I can’t be there beside them all the time so all I can do is hope there is no one around who thinks they can bully my parents. I think my dad could reasonably take one in a fight though, he’s got the lean, unassuming kind of muscles from farm work as a kid.”

“I cannot say anything to bring awareness to that the media has not already said, but I can say to those criminals that your parents have guided you terribly wrong in order for you to think you can do something like this and be justified in your mind while doing so.”