Diploma Seals Explained

What you need to know about the different diploma seals

Khristina Smith, Staff Writer

Governor’s Seal 

• Awarded to students who complete the studies for an Advanced Diploma with an average grade of “B” or higher and successfully complete college level coursework that will earn the student at least nine transferable college credits 

Board of Education Seal

• Awarded to students who complete the requirements of the advanced or standard diploma with an average grade of “A” beginning with ninth grade 

Career and Technical Education Seal

• Earn a Standard or Advanced Studies Diploma and complete a sequence of courses in a career and technical education specialization that they choose as well as maintain a “B” or better average in those courses 

Diploma Seal for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM)

• Students who earn either a Standard Diploma or an Advanced Studies Diploma and satisfy all Math and Science requirements for the Advanced Studies diploma with a “B” average or better in all course work
  • Successfully complete at least 50 hours of work based learning opportunity in a STEM area
  • Satisfy all requirements for a Career and Technical Education concentration
  • Pass one of the following:
    • a Board of Education CTE STEM-H credential examination, or
    • an examination approved by the Board that confers a college-level credit in a STEM field.

Civics Education Seal

• Students who earn either a Standard Diploma, Standard Diploma, or Advanced Studies Diploma
  • Complete Virginia & United States History and Virginia & United States Government courses with a grade of “B” or higher
  • Complete at least 50 hours of volunteer hours in community service or extracurricular activities that benefit the community 
  • Having good attendance and no disciplinary infractions 

Seal of Biliteracy

• Students who earn a Board of Education-approved diploma and pass all required end of course assessments in English reading and writing at proficiency level or higher 
  • Show proficiency at the intermediate level or higher in one or more languages other than English 

Seal for Excellence in Science and Environment 

• Earn either a Standard or Advanced Studies Diploma
  • Complete at least three different first-level laboratory science courses and at least one advanced-level or postsecondary-level laboratory science course, each with a grade of “B” or higher
  • Complete laboratory or field-science research and present that research in a formal, juried setting
  • Complete at least 50 hours of voluntary participation in community service or extracurricular activities that involve the application of science such as environmental monitoring, protection, management, or restoration.

More information can be found on the VBCPS Diploma Seals page