Meet our new new SRO officer 

Officer Lindsey Bennington joins the Salem family

Madison Mizroch, Staff Writer

Officer Lindsey Bennington has been a SRO officer for over three years and joined us here at Salem mid-year. Bennington plays a major role in keeping everyone in the building safe, but she’s also focused on spreading positivity to students and staff.

When Bennington was young, she became interested in the idea of making a difference by entering the field of criminal justice for a career.

¨There’s actually a few reasons why I wanted to become a police officer,¨ said Bennington. ¨Ever since I was young, my father took me to an event where the mounted units (police that ride horses- specialty unit) came from all over Virginia and they would meet in Virginia Beach. They would show off their skills by sending themselves, and their horses through an abundance of obstacle courses. Following that, I had a family member who was constantly making bad choices, resulting in always seeing the police. I was able to see how some officers were good and some, well some were in the career for the wrong reasons. Later, I went to college and took criminal justice classes, which I found to be very interesting. This is when I knew that becoming a police officer was the right choice for me.¨ 

When Bennington was offered the opportunity to come to Salem she jumped at the chance.

¨I have always wanted to be an SRO in high school, and of course did not know what I was getting myself into,¨ said Bennington. “I had no idea how much this school would make me feel, as if I was at home. I love it here.”

Bennington appreciates the diversity at Salem.. 

¨My favorite thing about this school thus far is the diversity in personalities. I love learning new things about students,” said Bennington.  “I also love how every single kid is so genuine and unique. The talent at this school is beyond my imagination.¨

Getting to know more about a person and seeing what good they bring can change the whole aspect of how police officers are viewed. 

“My top two favorite things about being a SRO, is that I can relate to kids and show them that not all cops are ‘bad’ or ‘mean,’” said Bennington. “I can also form bonds with students that will last a lifetime and hopefully make a lasting impression on them for the rest of their lives.”

Being an SRO officer is much more than just protecting the lives of students, and making sure schools are safe. Bennington hopes to impact lives in a positive way and improve officer student relationships.