Advice from a senior on what you’ll actually need (and want) for your freshman year

Be your best self your first year of high school

Sara Zimba, Editor in Chief

I absolutely LOVE getting school supplies every year. Though most work is digital now, do not underestimate the importance of a good pen and a notebook you actually enjoy writing in. My freshman year, I was not really sure what I needed, or what I would or wouldn’t get embarrassed about having. (Through the years the embarrassment goes away.) Below is a list of what I found the most helpful and why. 

FOR YOUR CLASSES

Planner/Calendar

In middle school you probably had to use a planner, so you probably didn’t give it much thought, I didn’t either, but when I got to high school, between any extracurricular activities, homework, plans with friends, etc., I found it to be super helpful. You can honestly just get an app on your phone too if you don’t want to use a hand held one. Either way a planner will help you get organized.

Two folders

In theory getting two binders with tabs and loose leaf was ideal pre-COVID, but now nearly everything is digital. Also, to be honest, when the bell rings are you going to take the time to put notes or handouts neatly in a binder? You’ll likely want to shove things into your bag- DON’T DO IT. If you do, there’s about a 50-50 chance you’ll never see that paper again. Getting two folders, one for A days and the other for B days is truly so helpful. Keep paper in both folders too though.

A large college ruled notebook

Once again, I am all about working smarter and not harder. Efficiency will get you to graduation. Also, if you’re confused as to what I mean by a “large college ruled notebook,” look up a Mead Spiral Notebook, 5 subjects, College ruled. It’ll change your life. Well that might be a bit much, but it comes in handy. Plus binders get extremely heavy. Just trust me on this one.

3 black pens

Never underestimate the power of a good pen. Seriously. Also, most people use pens so make sure you’re all stocked up. As Rory Gilmore once said, “one dries up, one gets lost, I have one left.” 

2 pens of another color

Highlighters are lovely, but it can gross over into the ‘too much’ category extremely quickly. Having a pen of another color will prove to be very helpful for note taking.  And it helps your planner stay organized.

A few pencils

Honestly, I haven’t kept a pencil in my bag since my freshman year. You’ll only really use them for math, possibly a foreign language depending on your teacher, or if you’re doing a standardized test.

3 or 4 Highlighters

When you’re taking a lot of notes, spicing up your notes with color and your own personal touch will make you more likely to actually read them. 

Those seven items will get you through most of your classes. The following items aren’t necessarily must-haves, but they are nice to have on hand. 

FOR YOU

Phone Charger

Especially if you have a long bus ride, your phone will die during the school day at least like once a week. It’s just bound to happen to you or one of your friends. Know that most teachers won’t let you charge your phone during class, but there are some that will let you charge during lunch or club meetings. 

Headphones (chromebook)

I promise you’ll be using these more than you’d think. Nothing too fancy; you can get these at the dollar store. Make sure they’re not the iPhone headphones. 

Granola Bars

Most of my teachers through the years have let me eat in class. During the era of COVID and masking that can be different, but snacks are always a good idea. Nothing too fancy, just a pick-me-up. Granola bars don’t make a mess, you’ll actually eat them, and you can eat them quickly. You’re not going to eat one every day, but it doesn’t hurt to keep a couple in your bag.

Gum

Self explanatory. You’ll want it, just don’t stick it under the desks. Gross.

A reusable water bottle

There are water bottle refilling stations around the school. If you bring a plain, plastic water bottle, it’s almost a guarantee that somebody, in at least one of your classes will have one too. You’ll probably lose it, it’s bad for the environment, it’s more likely to leak and make all of your stuff wet. A reusable water bottle is just the way to go, trust me.

The last full year of school you had was in sixth grade. Now you’re freshmen! The last few years may not have been easy but I can promise you, as you become a SunDevil, you will have a community and a support system to ensure the next four years will be enjoyable. Good luck class of 2025!