Hispanic Heritage month 

The importance of learning about traditions and culture during Hispanic Heritage month

Haylie Morrison, Staff Writer

Hispanic History Month runs from September fifteenth to October fifteenth. According to the Library of Congress Hispanic Heritage Month website We celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month to recognize the achievements and contributions of Hispanic American champions who have inspired others to achieve success.”

“I think that the importance of Hispanic History Month is to recognize the traditions and history of me and other hispanic people,” said sophomore Caleb Freeman.

Hispanic Heritage month actually started as Hispanic Heritage Week in 1968, which was expanded to a month in 1988. The reason it starts in the middle of September rather than the beginning is because it coincides with many national independence days in several different Latin American countries.  

Free Domain: CC

Honduras, Guatemala, Costa Rica , El Salvador, and Nicaragua all celebrate their independence days on September fifteenth. This is followed by Mexico on September sixteenth, Chile on September eighteenth, and Belize on September twenty first.

Appreciating Hispanic culture and traditions is fundamental during this time period. 

“My family plans to get together and we cook food for all our family,” said sophomore Adilene  Lopez. “We always do a toast for our hispanic heritage and what we stand for.”

Anyone can celebrate National Hispanic Heritage Month and show their appreciation for Latino and Hispanic Americans by watching movies about Hispanic and Latino culture, reading books by authors who are of Hispanic  or Lationo origin, or even going to local events that celebrate the contributions of Latino and Hispanic people have made to US society. 

You can find more information about events in our area and learn more about Hispanic history as well as networthy Hispanic men and women in Virginia at: https://www.virginia.gov/hispanic-heritage-month/.