The 2021-22 SunDevil Times Newspaper editors

Who they are and why they chose to be in leadership

Nadia Henry, Staff Writer

Editor in Chief senior Sara Zimba

Q: Why did you choose to become a newspaper editor? 

A: I found a passion for writing in journalism class last year and I enjoy being involved with the students.

Q: What’s your favorite thing about being an editor?

A: I enjoy when my classmates privately text me and ask me for my help with a story when they are in need. 

Q: What are the benefits of being an editor?

A: You get to meet a lot of new people when doing an interview. You get to establish your creativity, and it allows you to show people your ability to help. 

Assistant Editor in Chief senior Jesse Wallenburg-Cookley

A: I chose to become a newspaper editor because I like to be a role model to others, and I like the environment that we have together in newspaper class. 

A: My favorite thing is I get a chance to help the staff. I like to inspire people to put out the best work they can, and I like the team. 

A: Editors get to choose their own stories first before anyone else. We also get to practice our communication skills and creativity skills as editors so we can be able to speak to people and help when they are in need. 

Section editor Ben Cruz

A: I enjoy writing, and I feels like this is an opportunity to become a writer.  

A: My favorite thing is having an opportunity to help and share information with people to help them improve.

A: You have a say so in the classroom a lot and the teacher comes to the editors to help when it comes to team building and group work. 

Design Editor junior Anna Grace Riegle

A: I enjoyed doing the newspaper last year and I felt welcome, which made me want to do it again.

A: My favorite thing about being an editor is the amount of collaboration, and I enjoy leading the group in creative material. I also like the challenge I get with working with a group, because it also helps me build relationships with people in the newspaper. 

A: It’s a healthy amount of pressure. It helps me challenge myself knowing that people need my help. 

Photo editor sophomore Serena Johnston

A: It’s good for college applications and I like photography. I also enjoy writing and being able to capture people’s smiles.

A: My favorite thing is being able to have leadership, and being able to teach people about it.

A: It looks good on college applications and you have good flexibility with your writing, and knowing that your teacher can trust you with writing your own stories.