Q&A with the new SCA officers

The executive officers explain why they joined SCA and what they are looking forward to

Emmaly Lemieszek, Staff Writer

Senior President Xander Krell

Q: Why did you join the SCA?  

A: “I joined after being inspired by Leadership Workshop to help out with events firsthand and to make Salem a more fun place to be.”

Q: What has been your favorite event that you’ve participated in so far? Why?

A: “My personal favorite event has always been Homecoming and Bonfire. I love seeing the clubs’ tables and students’ performances!”

Q: What are you looking forward to doing as the President of the SCA?

A: “I look forward to (COVID permitting) creating more events, both virtual and in person, to bring students together to have fun.”

Senior Vice President J Belin

Q: Why did you join the SCA? 

A: “I have been doing SCA since middle school, my sister was in SCA and I took interest in it. I have always loved helping the school and taking part in the events.”

Q: What has been your favorite event that you have participated in so far? Why?

A: “Mr. Salem is my favorite.We have guys do a pageant style event. They also do a group dance, their own separate talent acts, and personality interviews. The winners get prizes. It is super fun to watch and help plan the games. 

Q: What are you looking forward to as the vice president of the SCA? 

A: “I was in charge of the homecoming and bonfire which was a huge success. It looked like many people had a great time and enjoyed the event. I am excited to get into the flow of the year and plan for future projects.”

Senior Vice President Ashante Conley

Q: Why did you join the SCA?

A: “I joined SCA because I was really interested in being more involved in the school for my last year of high school since I am graduating early. I wasn’t really expecting much in this position, but from the past 2-3 years I was able to see how much a small group of people in our school were making small impacts for the whole entire school to have a good time so I was really interested in doing that. I also really wanted to help lead the school with hope and positivity through this ‘new normal’ that we have.” 

A : “There haven’t been many events that have happened at school yet. But as of right now one that I could think of would be a bonfire because I was able to see many talented people that I’ve never seen before and make new connections with such amazing people.”

A: “As Vice President I am looking forward to many more events to come this upcoming year, spreading awareness about how big changes in life cannot affect you because it’s just another trial that you would just have to overcome, and continuing to making more connections with faculty, students, and stuff to have an amazing rest of the year.”

Junior Secretary Emily Euler

Q: Why did you join the SCA?

A: “I joined the SCA because I was a part of it in my middle school and I like to be involved. It’s always fun to help plan out school events and get to work with others as a team.”

Q: What has been your favorite event you have participated in so far? Why? 

A: “Due to COVID, I haven’t been able to participate in that many events, but I really liked going to homecoming bonfires and games this year. It was nice to see everyone enjoying themselves and I had a great time with friends!” 

Q: What are you looking forward to as the secretary of the SCA? 

A: “I am looking forward to putting on more fun events for the student body this school year. I think we all are ready to get back to having some fun activities after not being able to have them last year.”

Senior Treasurer Dana Potter

Q: Why did you join the SCA? 

A: “I joined the executive council in my freshmen year because I wanted to find a group of people I felt included with and participate in a group of like-minded individuals.”

A: “I absolutely loved doing homecomings (with the dance) because it was amazing being able to see everyone come together and participate. Whether it be that spirit week or pep rally, it was nice to do things collectively to make a great dance/event!”

Q: What are you looking forward to as the treasurer of the SCA?

A: “I’m looking forward to hearing people’s input and getting people involved throughout the school year. I hope to make more people feel involved and allow people to have events more catered to their liking.”