Farewell McMiller

NJROTC’s beloved Chief Warrant Officer Ronald McMiller retired this month

Farewell McMiller

Madison Washington, Staff Writer

After five years as a SunDevil, Chief Warrant Officer Ronald McMiller retired Friday, October 15th. His vibrant personality and close relationships with students will be missed.

“I have always been able to make a connection and make students smile before I give them the real talk of ‘YOU CAN MAKE IT!’” said McMiller. “Never give up on your dreams. You may have setbacks, and that’s okay.”

McMiller has been an inspiration to countless students over the past five years. One of those he has inspired is the Training Officer for our NJROTC Unit, junior Ryan Sapinoso.

McMiller never fails to turn a horrible day into a good one,” said Sapinoso. “I walk into class and my whole mood is flipped and a smile starts to form.”

McMiller technically taught the operations of the military, but students argue they learned just as much about life skills. 

“One of the greatest lessons I learned from McMiller that will impact me for the rest of my life can be summed up in four words that he always quotes from his favorite rapper, Tupac: ‘Keep your head up,’” said Sapinoso. “I just know that if I am ever having a hard time that I will be able to get through it.”

Chief Warrant Officer Ronald McMiller poses behind his art piece called “7-11 slushy and cool drink.” (Photo provided by: R. McMiller)

Civil Affairs Officer Jacob Cerda, a senior, has also been impacted by McMiller.=

“There’s a lot of life lessons that he has taught me, but the one I will probably use most is: stay true to yourself, do what makes you happy, and focus on your main objective,” said Cerda.

Erin Richburg, VPAA Visual Art Strand teacher, has been across the hall from the NJROTC room for the past two years.

[McMiller]’s always really positive; a really good pick me up, which I need,” said Richburg. “He’s a hundred percent real as a human and he brings me food, so I’m genuinely going to miss him for those reasons.”

Richburg has also seen the impact he has had on students and the NJROTC unit.

“When he got here, our NJROTC drill team rose to a whole new level. He gave the kids a sense of belonging,” said Richburg. “He did a good job of bringing it into modern culture, and now it’s an embedded part of the Salem experience.”

McMiller still promises to be involved in NJROTC as a booster parent, helping with fundraising, competitions, and cooking food for the cadets.

“I’ve known Warrant McMiller for the last eight years. I’ve always looked up to his teaching style and his connections with the cadets and all the students,” said Command Master Chief Cajan Nelms. “The compassion that he has for the students and the love for his ROTC family is undeniable.”

McMiller has many plans to make the most of his retirement, including making visits to Thomas J. Higgins Academy in southside Chicago, in which there is a wing dedicated to his continuous provision of scholarships.

“I will be taking care of my mother and family, being a crazy hip-hop, old-school granddad. I may do some part time teaching, but mostly creating art, writing another book, and taking my wife on trips every month,” said McMiller

In addition to being a published author, McMiller is passionate about the artwork he creates. His vibrant acrylic paintings and pours, all of which are lighthearted and created out of fun, have been featured in a gallery show.

Chief Warrant Officer Ronald McMiller’s art piece “Silver and Gold.”(Photo provided by R. McMiller)

“My art was developed from my time in the military. Twenty-eight years of events and tragedy took a toll on me,” said McMiller. “One thing that always kept me calm in the dark times was looking at art from all forms.”

McMiller’s impact will continue long after he has left his classroom.

“No one will be able to take his place,” said Nelms, “but the legacy he has left will carry on.”

Read more about McMiller in our articles From gang life to good deeds and Published Authors In Our Midst.