October students and teacher of the month

Congratulations to Drema Biron, Alexia Arnold, Ahmarri Williams, Max Estep, and Saniyah Armstrong

Nadia Henry, Staff Writer

Congratulations to Teacher of the Month Drema Biron.

Teacher of the Month, History teacher Drema Biron (Stephanie Young)

Here are some kind words her students had to say about her:

“She is understanding, kind, and communicates with us so that we understand what we are doing. She has created a safe space in her classroom and I could not ask for a better teacher.” – Mariah Jones

“She is a very nice teacher. She has created a safe and comfortable place in our classroom. She also always makes learning pleasant and fun and always makes sure we have time to get all of our work done.” – Brooklyn Hoffman

“She explains things so that we understand them easily, always keeps up the notes, goes over work with us, and provides tools to help us learn and focus better in the classroom even though she doesn’t have to.” – Lily Ramos

Q&A with Ms. Drema Biron

Q: What are some things you like about Salem High School?

A: I love how much fun the students are to have in class. Also love how welcoming the faculty and staff have all been to me.

Q: How does it feel to be Teacher of the Month?

A: It feels great because I love knowing that my students enjoy my class and appreciate all the hard work we do for them.

Congratulations to the October students of the Month. Students receive a $10 gift certificate to the Sunny Specialty Shop which is open during all A day lunches 3rd block.

Freshman Saniyah Armstrong

Freshman Saniyah Armstrong (Stephanie Young)

“I am nominating Saniyah Armstrong because she has started her freshman year off strong both socially and academically. She comes to class eager to learn and is engaged at all times! Her hard work and dedication to success is admirable.”  ~ Reading teacher, Ms. Tanna Ball

Q&A with Saniyah Armstrong

A: I like Salem because everybody can all fit in the same, nobody gets different treatment. Salem is a very safe place for students to learn and have fun!

Q: How does it feel to be Student of the Month ? 

A: It feels great to know I got student of the month because it shows me all the hard work I put in this past month, and it will boost me to do even better the months after.

Sophomore Max Estep

Sophomore Max Estep (Stephanie Young)

“Max approaches every class in Technical Theatre like a new adventure. He comes into room 505 with an open mind, boundless curiosity, and willingness to go above and beyond. His creativity shines as brightly as his positive attitude.”  ~ Theatre teacher, Mrs. Christa Vogt

“Max is a constant reminder of why I love teaching theatre. He commits 100% to growing as an artist and making sure all those around him feel comfortable and supported. He is so positive and kind each and every day in class.” ~ Theatre teacher, Mrs. Sharon Byrd

Q&A with Max Estep

Q: What are some things you like about Salem High School ?

A: Probably the people. They’re really nice, easy to get along with, as long as you put in the effort with people they put in the effort back. I also like the teachers, I guess they fall under the category of people (chuckles). The teachers actually have a personality, which is pretty cool for teachers. It’s one of those things where they spend more time with you, and you really get the chance to know them, and they feel more like friends, but they teach you things, because, you know, it’s their job.

Q: How does it feel to be Student of the Month?

A: I’m not really sure, like, one of my teachers called me Salem Royalty? It feels really special, to be chosen, like just 4 people out of everyone. It was early in the year so to be selected early felt pretty good. It makes me feel like I’m noticed by some of the teachers. It makes me feel like I have a lot more to do. I’m just starting out in high school, so I have a lot more to do.

Juinior Ahmarri Williams

Juinior Ahmarri Williams (Stephanie Young)

“Ahmarri (Marri) is an excellent student and is doing great work in VA/US History and all of his classes. In addition, he is a fine young man who represents SHS on the varsity football team. He is one of the most polite and personable students I’ve had the pleasure of teaching.” ~ History Teacher Mr.  Tabb Pearson

Q&A with Ahmarri Williams

A: Salem high school is not just a school, but a community. I love how Salem accepts everyone even if they are different. Salem is a safe place for a lot of people and there is a beauty in that.”

A: It feels good to be the student of the month because of the recognition. It helps me build confidence because finally people can see the hard work I put in sports and in the classroom.

Senior Alexia Arnold

Senior Alexia Arnold (Stephanie Young)

“Alexia is an amazing student and great leader in class. She remembers names and welcomes new students with open arms. Her focus and dedication to her passions make her more than deserving to be recognized as student of the month.” ~ English Teacher, Ms. Tori Macoul

Q&A with Alexia Arnold

A: I love many things about Salem High. I love the community diversity, the sport diversity, especially being a girl on a guys team. I also love the teachers and the help they are always willing to give. 

A: Being Student of the month is really amazing. It is my first time getting student of the month and I am very proud of myself. I feel that since my freshman year I have matured a lot.