Returning home

2016 Alumni Ms. Meredith Holt is the new SCA advisor

Returning home

Sara Zimba, Editor in Chief

In a time of selfies, too many emojis, and dances to Drake songs taking over the internet, there was one class of 2016 SunDevil about to transition into her next phase of life: SCA Advisor Ms. Meredith Holt.

“It’s funny because a lot of my old teachers are still in the building which is really interesting to say the least,” said Holt. “Did I think my educational career would start at my Alma Mater, honestly no. But I am so thankful for it. Many, many teachers that I look to and are part of the reason that I wanted to become a teacher, are now becoming my friends. Either way, I can always count on them for advice or a good laugh which makes it so easy to get to school so early every morning.”

Though she was a part of SCA during her time at Salem, Holt brings more to the club than her solid painting skills and undeniable school spirit. As a twenty-three year old who works with a lot of upperclassmen students, the age gap is relatively small.

“I think some people would say that it would be hard, but honestly I think it helps me really understand what students are going through,” said Holt. “I finished my undergraduate degree during the pandemic in virtual school, so I understand what these students are going through when it comes to transitioning and motivation. But, being younger I hope that students can not only count on me as an educator, but also as a role model.”

Starting at the end of October, Holt will be taking over astronomy classes from Mr. William Ferris,  who is retiring. Prior to this, she has been a permanent substitute teacher for Algebra 2 and Trigonometry classes. 

Senior Ontario Linson has interacted with Holt in the classroom and as a member of SCA.

“It goes from more of an authority role when I’m in her class to more of a peer to peer,” said  Linson. “And you get to see each other in a different light, more of a relaxed setting. Of course she still has that authority role, but it’s just a different type of communication and energy.”

During her own years at Salem, Holt was one of the people that she now advises. She got involved with as many things as possible, having a job, and a packed school schedule all while being an academy student and SCA officer.

“The only difference I see is that she has a degree and is faculty now,” said Alisha Zimba, Holt’s former guidance counselor and the staff member honored with bestowing Holt with her SunDevil medallion. “She’s a great, kind, hard-working person. I’m so grateful she’s back.”

Holt is a dedicated staff member and an inspiring role model. At only 23 years old she is already making a difference in countless lives.