Instrumental strand director, Mr. Rick Kalinauskas

A look behind the scenes

Aurora Mangune, Staff Writer

The Visual and Performing Arts Academy instrumental strand director, Mr. Rick Kalinauskas, acts as a jack of all trades for the instrumental students, but also participates in other musical activities outside of school. 

“In short, yes, it’s a lot and I tend to stay here pretty late,” said Kalinauskas. “I love it, though; it’s like what I used to do back then and now I get to continue while helping my students at the same time. That’s what makes it so much fun.”

Kalinauskas is a former professional musician and arranger who came to Salem four years ago. He’s a member of the Virginia Wind Symphony as a euphonium player. His music arrangements were often meant for entertainment groups, such as small bands in tourist attractions like Busch Gardens or Royal Caribbean. Nowadays, Kalinauskas often finds himself working as a backup performer for several small music groups. \

“Education takes up a lot of my time, so now I usually get called in when people are in a pinch and I’ll go and play in a concert for them in their place,” said Kalinauskas. “It’s last minute, but it keeps me on my toes.”

Mr. Rick Kalinauskas plays bass at a live concert. (submitted by R. Kalinauskas )

Kalinauskas has participated in music related activities for a large portion of his life. Because of his rich history in performance, Kalinauskas keeps in touch with many different performers from past experiences and uses this as a benefit for life in the academy. 

“He does have a lot of outside connections and he often pulls from a lot of people and sometimes incorporates them into a lot of our dependent masterclasses,” said VPAA junior violist L. Mangune. “I think it’s great; it really gives us a wide variety of different opinions and stuff.”

The instrumental strand is extremely diverse artistically. Each plays a different instrument and may have different needs as an individual. As director, Kalinauskas has to adapt to the variety of teaching styles needed throughout the school day. \

“Yes, here in the academy orchestras, I get to work with everyone on music, but I’m also responsible for what happens in all the classes from music theory to technique classes,” said Kalinauskas. “Really, from the time I first meet students at open house as eighth graders to the time they walk across the stage, it’s my job to make sure you have the resources you need to be successful and to support you guys in the opportunities in creativity you wish to pursue. It may be a lot but it’s really cool.”

With all the difficult obstacles that come with being in charge of the entire strand, Kalinauskas pushes through and stays optimistic. His attitude and approach spread positivity to his students. 

“He’s a laid back person and he’s very understanding,” said VPAA senior violinist Holly Morgan. “He prioritizes your mental health and is always trying to help his students grow as musicians.” 

Kalinauskas has an attitude that makes his students feel welcomed as individuals in the academy. Since his first arrival, Kalinauskas has represented himself as a great addition to Salem’s staff team. Passion and persistence simply help make Salem High School a better place.

“I was at Princess Anne Middle School before this. And when I knew the position was open, I had to put my name in the hat,” said Kalinauskas. “It’s because this place is so special. There’s nothing like it in all of Virginia Beach. And I knew that if I didn’t, that I would regret it. And I’m glad I did because obviously, I’m here now and I get to work with you guys.”

Kalinauskas is very glad to be working with the academy.