Speaking with Sammi

Getting to know sophomore Sammi Easmeil

Sara Zimba, Editor in Chief

As an LGBTQ+ Palestinian- American Sammi Easmeil has a unique perspective.

Q: Describe to me the main differences between Palestinian and American culture as you see them. How have your Palestinian roots affected your experience as somebody living in America?

A: In comparison, it seems like Americans hate each other. Palestinians have such a strong love for one another. There’s this comfortability and community that I don’t see here, at least not in the same ways. It’s crazy, actually, because when I went there for the first time, I had only talked to my aunt over Facebook messenger; I had never actually spoken to her and still she was so excited to see me and immediately hugged me and it was really welcoming.

Q: Is there any significance or meaning behind your name?

A: Yes it is a male’s name in Arabic and it means praise.

Q: Describe yourself in a sentence.

A: I am a work in progress who has nice handwriting.

Q: If you could control how you’re perceived, what would be the most important thing that people saw in you?

A: Kindness, I want people to know that I am there for them at all times when they need me to be

Q: You are an open member of the LGBTQ+ community. Can you tell me about your experience with coming out? 

A: I realized I was queer in seventh grade and I was in a Catholic school and there was just so much self-hatred engrained in my brain. I confessed to my priest and asked for help and forgiveness. I didn’t come out to my family until after I left that Catholic school. I got good responses for the most part. 

(Photos submitted by: Sammi Easmeil)

Q: What is your biggest accomplishment? 

A: I’ve got to say that’s a hard one. My biggest accomplishment is being proud of myself and finally feeling pride in the things I’m doing.

Q: What do you want to do for a living?

A: want to be a psychiatrist, because I’ve had my good dealings with mental health and I’ve always had an emphatic calling I think. 

Q: What do you do when you’re not in school?

A: I take notes. I went to the library the other day and got a bunch of books and just took notes on them. I find it relaxing and fun. Oh and I also sing.

Q: Who is your hero?

A: My dad. My dad a hundred times over, we have amazing conversations about everything under the sun. He is so nurturing and he always asks what he can do to help when something goes wrong and he’s just… he’s a cool guy.

Q. Where do you hope to be in ten years?

A: I’ll probably still be in college, but I hope to be finishing up my residency. I want to have a cat, named Stanley specifically and just live in a place where I feel I belong.

Q. Tell me about somebody you look up to. Who are they and how have they influenced you? 

A: I look up to my uncle.  I look to him as a model of love, familial protection specifically. He opened his home to us when my parents got divorced and he really sacrificed so much so that we could have a better life and I hope to have the same influence on my future kids.

Q. What is the best word of advice you’ve ever received? Why did it mean so much to you?

A .It was from Senora Harley. I had my advisory with her and we talked about food, and I had a bad history with food and my relationship with food and I don’t even remember what she said, but honestly just our conversations put it all into perspective and I learned a lot.