Squid Game, a global phenomenon

New Netflix Korean Drama, Squid Game shatters streaming records

Anna Grace Riegle, Design Editor

If you’ve been on the internet at all recently, you’ve probably at least heard of Squid Game. Squid Game debuted on Netflix on September 17th of this year and has since ranked number one in 97 territories including the U.S. Setting records as the most streamed Netflix show of all time, the Korean drama garnered views from 142 million subscriber households within its first month of streaming. 

Squid Game is a Korean thriller-drama that follows a cast of characters in tremendous debt competing in children’s games to win what would be approximately thirty-eight million USD. The catch is that they are competing with their lives at stake, the prize money increasing as each contestant is eliminated by death. The games get increasingly more grotesque and violent, but the innocent imagery reminiscent of childhood remains. This makes it all the more disturbing, yet addicting to watch.

“It was mainly the visuals of the show that drew me to be interested,” said sophomore Jackie Cruz. “Like the contrasting colors really drew me to watch in the first place, especially since social media gave the show amazing reviews.”

Like other record breaking shows and movies such as Bridgerton and Birdbox, Squid Game spread through the power of shares, retweets, and likes. Upon its release, the internet swarmed with fan theories, reviews, and memes. So much of this was positive that views increased exponentially, and soon everyone was watching or knew someone watching Squid Game

Squid Game was recommended to me on Netflix,” said junior Ronan Valentine. “So I watched a bit of it, but then I put it down. Then it was all over social media so I decided to watch it again.”

For years, Netflix has made massive success by investing in foreign television, notably Spanish drama Money Heist, or La Casa de Papel (2017-present) and French drama Lupin (2021-present). Both Series’ hold high spots in Netflix streaming records. The streaming service phenomenon as a whole is expanding the global media spotlight beyond the west. Thanks to companies like Netflix that provide subtitling and voiceover in various languages, media from any part of the world can be easily accessible in the US. 

“I think that the popularity of Squid Game will help to encourage people to watch movies that are different from what they’re used to and discover a lot of what’s going on media-wise in other parts of the world,” said Valentine.

So why is Squid Game of all shows reaching so many people? The proof is in the premise. It’s real, it’s relevant, and it’s horrifying. 

“Once I started watching, I was completely invested in the story that the characters carried along in the episodes,” said Cruz. “Because to me, it wasn’t generalized lore that should be in places through books and outside knowledge that made me want to keep watching, it was the character’s journey through such a traumatic experience and the aftermath of it.”

Squid Game serves as a commentary on the social and emotional repercussions of capitalism. It makes viewers think about how money controls us and our priorities. This really makes us think, ‘How far would I go to never have to worry about money?’

“It’s just interesting to see the ways money affects people,” said Cruz. “Because it’s truly the root of all success as that is portrayed in Squid Game.”

Squid Game is self referential in how it critiques how people enjoy watching people suffer, when you as the viewer are doing exactly that. The games also turn every desperate contestant against each other, when at once they were all on the same side. All these situations provoke thoughtful, lasting, and even disturbing questions about morality, money, and power. 

“It made me think about how even if you are kind and everything people can still take advantage of you,” said Valentine.

The thought provoking themes, complex characters, and massive social media presence made Squid Game a global phenomenon. Squid Game is now streaming exclusively on Netflix. Viewer discretion is advised. It is rated MA for mature audiences.