Transitioning from One Uniform to Another

Physics Teacher Wesley Lacaze is back from deployment

Jesse Wallenburg-Cooksey, Assistant Editor in Chief

Hampton Roads has a large military influence, so It is not unnatural to hear a lot of citizen and service member’s stories. Physics teacher Mr. Wesley Lacaze was recently deployed last year as a member of the Air Force Reserves.

“Deployment is like a very long groundhog’s day event. Typically you work six of seven days with each day falling into the same 10-12 hour work pattern.  A lot of it really depends on where you are at,” said Lacaze. “If you are deployed to a larger base you get hot meals, a solid roof over your head, and some entertainment options.  The further away you go from that main base the less you have.”

Mr. Wesley Lacaze pictured in the middle with his promotion plaque. (Photo: Lacaze)

There are many different jobs in the Air Force and Lacaze has a very interesting job as an expert on wartime use of Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear weapons.

“I have a two part job in the Air Force. During ‘peacetime’ I do Emergency Management which is developing plans, procedures, and training to mitigate the effects of natural and man-made disasters,” said Lacaze. “During ‘wartime’ I do CBRN defense, which means being a subject matter expert on wartime use of Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear weapons.”

Being both a teacher and a service member is not easy.

“I missed all of last school year during deployment. The worst comes from missing out on developing those relationships in the building with staff and with students,” said Lacaze. “This year really feels like I am starting all over as a new teacher because students I have had in class before have all graduated. Plus, you change as a person with each deployment.”

Lacaze believes the best part of the service is memories.

Mr. Wesley Lacaze works with students in his physics class. (Photo: Jesse Wallenburg-Cooksey)

“The adventure, the friends you make, and the opportunity for college were the best experiences,” said Lacaze. “However, individuals who are higher ranking than you can have a very great impact on your career, for better or for worse.  Obviously there are going to be some great people you work with and some really horrible people.”

As a teacher Lacaze has made a big impression on the students.

“Mr. Lacaze is not like every other teacher,” said senior Katie Hudgins.  “He talks to me like I’m an adult and he lets us work at his own pace. He’s just a cool guy.”