The Reign of Terror hits our Theatre

A dramatic comedy about four women in the French Revolution.

Carla Roby, Staff Writer

Mass executions, rebellion, and an incopenetnt king are the backdrop of The Reign of Terror. In AP European History, students are taught about the French Revolution, and the bloody and brutal tactics the revolutionists used to fight against the French monarchy. But what of the everyday citizen? What of the women? 

This year’s winter play tells the story of four women living in France during The Reign of Terror. Written by playwright Lauren Gunderson, The Revolutionists is a bold and fierce story told by an all female crew, directed by Mrs. Byrd, with senior Katharine Mclellan, junior Jell-Marie Miltante, senior Mansa Nain, and junior Anya Kohler as the four cast members. 

“[This play is] a work of art that embodies yet acknowledges past and current problems that have affected generations before and generations to come. Women at the forefront,” said Miltante

The actresses have a special bond given the tiny, all female cast.

The cast of The Revolutionists warms up on stage before a dress rehearsal. (Carla Roby)

“Honestly, this has been the most fun I’ve had with a production to date. I’m in love with the close knit collaboration energy of the small female cast and crew, and I can’t wait to continue working,” said Mclellan. 

A special energy has been created with this all female crew because of their shared point of view. 

Junior Anya Kohler and senior Katharine Mclellan pose for a picture in their costumes during dress rehearsal. (Izzy Olivero )

“I also like to think our team’s reckless intensity is the only way to really do this play service. Everyone in that room is very all or nothing, which is exciting,” said Mclellan. 

The play also addresses people from history whose presence has been on the backburner in textbooks and classrooms. The center focuses on showing different sides of women in the late 1700s France, and having a strong female dynamic. 

Wigs are an important prop for The Revolutionists. They are kept organized on a table back stage. (Carla Roby)

“The character I’m prepping for, she is the personified embodiment of the haitian movement and what it stands for; especially what it meant not just as a black person but a black woman,” said Miltante

The Revolutionists will be performed on February 18th and 19th in the auditorium. 

“This play is a celebration of the connective power of women throughout history. It really is a story of sisterhood,” said Mclellan.