Progress on the Passion Project

Seniors put meaning into their individual community-service projects

Aurora Mangune, Staff Writer

Each year, the annual senior Passion Project encourages students to find a passion and give back to the community. 

“I know that for decades, private schools have had their seniors do a project and it’s always either been a creative project or been community service based,” said English teacher Ms. Sharon Stellmach. “I think that it is vitally necessary, especially in this generation, for seniors to do something like the Passion Project.” 

The Passion Project is a major 12th grade assignment that is introduced the first week of school, worked on throughout the year, and shared in May. Students are to serve the community by addressing an issue that they are passionate about. 

“I think they are learning who they are and what’s important to them,” said Stellmach. “And not just what their parents taught them was important, but what they truly think is important.”

Seniors Kyleigh Wanzelak and Cailee Nichols participate in the feedback gallery. Students made flyers with information about their passion projects. Then the entire senior class had the opportunity to give feedback that could help make projects better.

This year’s seniors are using their projects to put the community first. 

“I’m going back to my old middle school to help out my former orchestra teacher,” said senior Micaella Quiazon. “Having her as my music teacher has changed my life in ways I couldn’t imagine. It benefits her students because I would be able to help them with what they’re learning from an upperclassmen’s perspective. I am happy that I am able to help her.”

Students are finding creative approaches to their projects. 

My friend and I are working together to write a short book on self-acceptance and identity,” says said Kassandra Londono. “We want to be able to teach a younger audience that they shouldn’t be ashamed of being themselves. To do this, we’re planning on writing the book with little animal characters to make it more entertaining, then share it with an elementary school class.” 

In addition to building up hours that can be used towards a civics seal, the passion project also serves as a lesson in self-discovery. 

“I think it gives them a sense of self-esteem since they’re helping other people,” said Stellmach. “It helps them to see what people from other walks of life live through that may be different from them, so they can learn to celebrate others.”

The Passion Project is student driven and leads to a natural sense of accomplishment. 

“Doing the project really makes people think of what they’re passionate about,” said Quiazon. “In a way, I feel like it somewhat reflects a part of who we are as people.”

Check for QR codes around the building in May to access and view student’s passion project presentations.