Is it worth it to buy a camera anymore?

Phone camera vs. professional camera

Kasey White, Staff Writer

With constant advances in technology, it’s common to see old devices become obsolete. Some would say that when it comes to the art of photography, it’s no different. We have a high quality camera in our pockets with our phones, so is it really worth it to invest in an expensive camera just for the purpose of pictures?

A big advantage of phone cameras is that they’re constantly evolving to become better and just about everyone has one. Each year, companies such as Apple and Samsung update the cameras on their phones. 

“Having a camera in my phone is pretty nice actually, it’s really good to be able to take a high quality picture whenever I want,” said sophomore Haylie Morrison.

Another positive thing about having high quality phone cameras is how versatile they are when it comes to things like filmmaking or photography. They allow for much more free motion and with that comes a lot of freedom.

Senior Kasey White films his friends skateboarding with a professional camera. (Kathleen A. Trace)

“Filming with a phone wasn’t too bad, it was very mobile and lightweight,” said sophomore Fox Muncy in relation to filming his silent film in cinema studies.

In film and photography classes, phones have in a way come to the rescue, especially in times of different forms of learning due to COVID. 

“Advancements in phone cameras is how my class is able to operate right now, especially last year during virtual/hybrid learning and that was the only device my students had besides their chrome books,” said Cinema Studies teacher Mrs. Paige Burwell.

However if you have the money for purchasing a professional camera, there are bonuses. Professional digital cameras are able to reach up to 8K resolution, have better zoom capabilities, focusing abilities, and low light capacity.

“I think professional cameras will always have the leg up but who knows! The newer cell phones have some crazy technology so I’m just excited to see where it goes,” said Burwell.

Many people have been leaving their cameras behind and only using their phones for filmmaking.

For the average person, a phone camera can more than suffice for their daily needs. It’s fairly low cost, combined with it’s convenience and versatility, it’s great for anyone looking to take decent pictures especially for social media. However, when it comes to professional photography and filmmaking, a professional camera will be much better for the job if high level editing is necessary.