5 underrated artists

Haylie Morrison, Staff Writer

1. Pom Pom Squad 

Pom Pom Squad is an indie/rock band from Brooklyn. Most describe their songs as “Quiet Grrrl Punk,” and they definitely have a very strong grunge/pop punk aspect to their music. 

The band consists of three members, Mia Berrin, Shelby Keller, and Alex Mercuri. Berrin is the lead singer of the group. They usually like to focus their aethsetics to the unapologetically-femme side. I personally, absolutely adore the concept. 

Pom Pom Squad’s music is generally focuses on fair representation for queer stories and advicacy for people of color.

Some of my favorite songs by them are; “Cake,” “Be Good,” “Honeysuckle,” “Cut My Hair, and Crying.” 

2. mazie 

Mazie is an eighteen year old indie/alternative pop singer-songwriter who refuses to be confined by a single genre with her music. I’d describe her music as very dream-like with how angelic her voice is. 

If you listen to Chloe Mariando’s music you’ve probably heard her on “Not Okay.” Mazie says her music is heavily influenced by powerful female artists like Amy Winehouse and 

Billie Eilish. 

Some of my favorite songs by her are; “dumb dumb,” “spinnin, and “i think i wanna be alone.” 

3. Weston Estate 

Weston Estate is a boy band that is branded as “ya aunty’s favorite boy band.” They are a North Carolina based group that consist of five members, Marco Luka (vocals), Tanmay Joshi (vocals), Abhi Manhass (production, bass), Srikar Nanduri (guitar), and Manas Panchavati (vocals). \

All members are Indian with the exception of Marco who is first generation Cuban-American. 

Most of their music is very dancey and fun, while some of their songs are very floaty and full of emotion. Their music is creative and unique; you can definitely tell they have a lot of fun making it. 

Some of my favorite songs by them are: “Hypnotized,” “Hey You (part 1),” and “Alcatraz.” 

4. Hot Freaks 

Hot Freaks is most well known for their song “Puppy Princess,” that went viral on tiktok a few months ago, years after the group broke up. Despite this, I still feel that their other music gets overlooked. 

Their music has a very garage band pop type of vibe.The best way to describe the band is Lemon Demon, but combined with LoveJoy. 

Most of their songs are very high school crush oriented. 

Some of my favorite songs by them are: “Write Me Letters,” “I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend,” “Hollywood Machine,” and “Outset Island.” 

5. Yeule 

Yeule is a musical project by Singaporean songwriter and producer Nat Cmiel, based in London. The name Yeule is actually derived from a final fantasy character. 

Their music is mostly deceived as dance/electronic, although it combines elements of ambient, glitch and Asian post-with their songs. 

I do feel that it is an acquired taste, but it’s definitely original and unique. If you listen to Jazimin Bean’s music at all, you’ll absolutely love their music. 

Some of my favorite songs by them are: “Friendly Machine,” “Don’t Be So Hard on Your Own Beauty,” “Pixel Affection,” and “Eva.”