Teacher of the Year

Chemistry teacher Heather Williams is Teacher of the Year

Madison Washington, Staff Writer

Chemistry teacher Heather Williams is our 2023 teacher of the year.

“I’m excited,” said Williams. “I grew up here in the 90’s as a student. There’s something special about now being named teacher of the year.”

Williams originally studied pre-med at ODU, but decided it was not the path for her after watching a surgery and fainting at the sight of blood. With a degree in pre-med and chemistry, she wanted to find a career that would allow her to help others achieve their goals. Teaching was just that. Williams has now been teaching for 16 years, and highly values her relationships with her students. 

“My most important job in life is being a mother, and I embrace my [school] kids with that same love,” said Williams. “I want students to walk out of [my class] knowing that they learned about science, but also a lot about themselves.”

Senior David Jewell, who had Williams his sophomore year, is one of many students who was impacted by her.

“Whenever I think about my favorite teachers, Mrs. Williams will always come to mind,” said Jewell. “She helped me through some tough times and for that I am so grateful.”

Williams also inspired senior Maya Lysinger.

“She’s an amazing teacher and has made a lasting impact on others’ lives, especially my own,” said Lysinger. “I never knew how much potential I had.”

Williams was one of the teachers in charge of the 2019-2020 D-stairs bathroom painting project. She said she valued this because it strengthened her relationships with students.

“I wish we could do [something like that] again, but because of COVID restrictions we can’t right now,” said Williams.

COVID may have been an obstacle for some teachers, but it did not stop Williams from connecting with her students. 

“When we had emergency learning, very few of us would join the optional zoom calls,” said Lysinger. Her, Jewell, and myself (the author) would regularly chat with Williams during the beginning of the pandemic and she became a mentor.

Williams’ current students, notably her A3 advisory, have a strong bond with her as well.

Mrs. Heather Williams is particularly close with her A3 Summit students.

“She is always willing to go the extra mile to help others,” said sophomore Noah McFadden, “and is one of the better teachers I have [had] so far.”

Williams’ main goal as a teacher is to “inspire people to do what [she personally can] not do.” She has gone above and beyond for her students, making a meaningful impact on them for the rest of their lives.

“I don’t think there is any other teacher I would bestow this honor on,” said Jewell. “Mrs. Williams deserves this award for being such an amazing teacher, mentor, and friend.”