Teens getting tatted

For some, turning 18 means it’s time to get a tattoo

Teens getting tatted

Payton Gross, Staff Writer

It’s not out of the ordinary to see students expressing themselves with art on their bodies. Three students share the stories behind their ink.

Senior Ava Slutsky

Senior Ava Slutsky got her first tattoo for her seventeenth birthday. (Mallory Haske)

How old were you when you got your tattoo?

• I was 17

What process did you go through to get your tattoo?

• My mom had told me that for my 17th birthday that we’d be going to get me one once she got her tax returns back because I’d been asking for a while. We ended up going in May, which was two months after my birthday. We had to double check that the place we wanted me to get it would tattoo minors, and it took a few places until we found one. She had to sign off and that was it.

What does your tattoo symbolize?

• My tattoo is a triangular Celtic knot. My grandmother used to wear it on a necklace before she passed away in 2016, and she used to say that each point represented my mother, herself, and me. It’s a tattoo to commemorate her.

Where did you get your tattoo?

• I got it done at The Blue Horseshoe

How much time did it take you to get your tattoo?

• My tattoo took only about 20-30 minutes

How much did it cost?

• It cost roughly $185, but I’m not 100% sure. It was a bit expensive because of extra costs due to me being a minor and the fact that it required very precise line work.

Senior Ashton Dodrill

Senior Ashton Dodrill got a tattoo of Stich from Lilo and Stitch in February. (Mallory Haske)

• I was 18

What does your tattoo symbolize?

• My tattoo is of the character Stitch. It doesn’t really symbolize anything; however, Stitch is my favorite Disney character. Stitch’s energy kinda matches mine and I really resonate with him. That’s what my tattoo means to me.

Where did you get your tattoo?

• I got it done at The Collective Tattoo

• It took about 2 hours and 30 minutes.

How much did it cost?

• I believe it was $375

Senior Sara Zimba 

Senior Sara Zimba commemorates her beloved grandfather with her tattoo. (Mallory Haske)

• I was 17

• Honestly, I’d been talking about getting this tattoo for so long. When it finally was time to get it I had already talked to my parents and gotten their permission. 

What does your tattoo symbolize?

• It’s my Grandfather’s life dates in Roman numerals. He died when I was in fourth grade. We were very close.

Where did you get your tattoo?

• I got it from a guy named Matt. He runs his business in his house, but he’s completely professional.

• In all, it took about an hour and a half to make sure it was perfect and then the actual tattooing.

How much did it cost?

• It ended up being $175

Getting a tattoo is a major life decision. It will be with you for the rest of your life unless you undergo expensive and painful tattoo removal. Tattoos can be a beautiful means of self-expression, but the decision to get one should not be taken lightly.