Advice on the college transition

Two 2021 grads share advice

Mary Alice Colvin, Staff Writer

Going from the high school environment to the college environment can be a tough transition, especially for those moving away to college. Twenty twenty-one graduates Kara Caintic and Nathan Colvin share their advice on how to make the transition a little smoother.

Kara Caintic

(Submitted by Caintic)

2021 Graduate 

Currently attends ODU

Q: What was the hardest transition from high school to college? 

A: The hardest transition for me was getting into the groove of scheduling every assignment and also making extra time to study and learn the material on your own while also balancing my personal life.

Q: How do you keep up with your work?

A: Plan out your week with what assignment to do each day and when to study while also adding in extra components such as meetings or appointments. One thing that helped me schedule was getting a planner and using it everyday and also using the reminders on my phone Another piece of advice I have is doing your assignments as soon as you get them and spacing assignments out to prevent procrastination.

Q: Advice on how to make friends? 

A: Honestly, making the right friends has yet to happen, but I will say college is very different than high school and less intimidating as a student. Because everyone is here for the same reasons. I would say to just put yourself out there and find people who make you comfortable and have a few things in common. Besides that, there are a lot of people to talk to; it’s who you’re willing to talk to.

Q: How hard is being away from home and living on your own? 

A: Unfortunately, I do still live at home so there isn’t much change for me, but for my friends that do live away from home I know that it was a big transition for them and having to be responsible for everything they do, but they also get a lot of independence and freedom.

Q: What is the most important lesson you have learned going to college?

A: The most important lesson I have learned from college would be staying on top of your work and putting school first. No one is going to push you harder than yourself, so it is really important to care about your work ethic and keep up with your classes. And make sure to make time for yourself otherwise it can jeopardize your sense of motivation and drive towards your goals.

Nathan Colvin

(Submitted by M. Colvin)

2021 Graduate

Currently attending Liberty University

A: Going from seeing my family, especially mom and dad, everyday to not being able to see them at all.

Q: What is your advice on how to make friends? 

A: Be yourself because real friends will like you for you.

A: It was really hard at first, but I have grown to appreciate what I have. It was very difficult leaving everything that I’m used to, but I have started to appreciate what I don’t have. But the transition has been fairly good for the most part. I mosty miss my family and it’s been difficult motivating myself.