Earth Day Recap

Information and advice on how to make every day Earth day.

Carla Roby, Staff Writer

Earth day, the holiday that advocates for environmental protection, takes place each year on April 22. 

The first ever Earth day was in 1970 after California Senator Gaylord Nelson decided to take action after a 1969 oil spill in Santa Barbara, California. With inspiration from the anti-Vietnam-War sentiment Nelson decided to recruit David Hayes, a student activist, to organize sit-ins at college campuses all over the country. Soon after, they created the official name of the day: Earth day. Earth day has blossomed into a day full of recognition and initiative. 

Earth day has had a positive effect on the environment because it has brought awareness to the public about environmental conservation. Consequently, people are fighting for ways to protect nature, and with that has come more laws to protect the planet. 

Academy Theatre teacher Mrs. Krista Vogt is passionate about the environment. 

“My household will continue to wash and reuse Ziplocs and plastic bags,” said Vogt .

Earth Day is an opportunity to participate with a global community to celebrate and recognize the importance of a healthy Earth system. 

“I look forward to the time when sustainable products become more affordable for people. I believe that single use plastics should no longer be used, however the alternatives are out of most peoples price range,” said Vogt.

Though environmental sustainability has gotten more traction, it can be tricky because it can be pricey, but there are cheap and free ways to help preserve the environment. 

Every individual can make a difference by making sustainable lifestyle choices, such as using less energy, eating less meat, and reducing plastic use,” said AP Environmental teacher Ms. Cindy Kube, AP Environmental Science teacher. 

Other ways to help out include thrift shopping, walking or riding bikes to close destinations rather than driving, and using reusable water bottles. 

“Every day is Earth Day!!” said Kube.