Kindness at Salem

Times where students expressed kindness

Emmaly Lemieszek, Staff Writer

“Do things for people. Not because of who they are or what they do in return, but because of who you are.” -Harold S. Kushner

Acts of kindness can go a long way. The ways you can express kindness is through empathy, gifts, or words. Just a simple “you look wonderful today” or “have a great day” can make someone’s day brighter. 

Students show kindness every day. 

“Once, I bought my friend food because they didn’t have enough money,” said junior Jaeden Last.

Freshman Bailey Siler likes to spread kindness and positivity through her peers.

Being kind to others benefits the mental and physical health of both the person being kind and the person receiving the kindness. According to the Mayo Clinic Health System, kindness can produce endorphins, slow ageing, improve mood, and create happiness. These endorphins can help reduce stress, anxiety and depression, and improve one’s self esteem. 

“I taught a freshman a lot of what he knows about wrestling this year,” said junior Aiden Dunn. “It was very satisfying to watch him take what I was teaching him and even get a varsity win when I got injured. Gave me an overwhelming sense of pride watching him.”

Junior Alyssa Kowalski said the nicest thing someone has done for her was when she was stranded in Suffolk with no way home and called her last Uber driver who was two hours away and the Uber driver came and picked her up with no charge. That really changed the way she views people.

“Receiving kindness has encouraged me to treat people with kindness because I wouldn’t want the other person to feel like they were the only one being a true friend,” said junior Marqual Howell. “I want to show I can be a good friend too.”

There is power in making kindness a goal everyday.

“I do try to ask everyone how their day is going on a daily basis and offer hugs if they need one,” said junior Amarion Cross.

Kindness is never limited. 

“I take action in nice things all the time,” said Kowalski. “When I participate in acts of kindness, I always feel good about what I do and puts me in a good mood.”

Practicing kindness everyday can help generosity grow. When you or someone you know notices someone being kind, tell them how much it means to you.