Gardening club

This club is unbe-leaf-able!

Gardening+club

Emmaly Lemieszek, Staff Writer

Do you love plants? The outdoors? Want to participate in a school club? Then the gardening club is for you!

Kathleen A. Trace

Teacher, Ms. Tammy Young, sponsors the gardening club, which officially started about a month ago on April 28th, 2022.

Q: How would you describe the garden club? 

A: “My description of the school garden and the garden club can be summed up in one word: joy. Pure joy!”

Q: What will the club do? 

A: “My plans for the gardening club are to use it as a platform to teach special education students basic math and other life skills with hands-on applications. In addition, I hope the garden can become a platform for other academic subjects as Salem staff and students become more involved through academics and/or through the newly formed Salem Garden Club.” 

Q: What projects/fundraisers do you plan to do in the future? 

A: “The Salem Garden Club is currently working on possible future fundraisers/projects for next year. For this school year, we will be doing a Rose Fundraiser. I hope to ultimately add more raised garden beds, a greenhouse, and improve water access by adding more rain barrels.”

Kathleen A. Trace

Q: What has been your favorite experience in the club? 

A: “My favorite experience with the garden club so far has been how the interest in the plant growth has completely exploded within Salem. I also love how planting, nurturing, and harvesting the produce has changed students’ perceptions of the garden into a positive one. Many students (and staff!) have shared with me that they are starting a garden at home this year for the first time because of their interaction with the school garden.”

Q: How would you like the garden club to support students?

A: “I would like for the Salem Garden Club to support the academics of students as an extension of the learning process.”

Kathleen A. Trace

If you would like to join Salem Gardening Club, then contact Mrs. Young at [email protected] or join the members of the club in room 104 on Thursdays!