Teacher Shortage

We are not immune from the national teacher shortage

Teacher+Shortage

Zolie Pope, Staff Writer

School systems across the country were already starting to struggle to find teachers and then the COVID pandemic hit making the pool of potential educators even smaller. The nation is currently facing a teacher shortage affecting the entire nation of students and teachers. 

Multiple sources have cited various reasons for this teacher shortage. Astronomy Teacher and SCA sponsor Meredith Holt thinks it has to do with the lack of respect for the position.

“I feel that teachers and those within a school building do a lot of work, and that work is not supported, it’s not recognized, and it’s not valued whether that be by higher up people in the education system or outside,” said Holt

Holt’s mother is also a teacher and is feeling similarly frustrated..

“My mom has been a teacher for 30 years and she has definitely contemplated either going part-time or just not even making it to retirement day because she’s so frustrated with how the system has changed, where she has seen that value in teachers just being depleted,” said Holt.

Others argue that teachers need to be paid more to encourage more young people into the profession. 

“Even in my VtFt (Virginia Teachers for Tomorrow) class last year there were people who were taking the class and really enjoyed it, but didn’t actually plan to become teachers because of the pay,” said senior Kiley Feight. 

According to Edweek.orgresearchers estimate that there are more than 36,500 teacher vacancies in the nation. They also estimate that there are more than 163,500 positions filled by teachers who aren’t fully certified or are not certified in the subject area they’re teaching.”

Several classes here at Salem were left teacherless at the beginning of the school year. We were lacking teachers for French, social studies, weight lifting, independent living, and economics.

(Photo by: Z. Pope)

“I think it should be on school boards and the department of education. I think it’s their job to see us and see our value and see our rights, really, and work on a solution,” said Holt

Students and teachers alike are experiencing new pathways and emotions as a result of the teacher shortage. Although there are many ideas for a solution, the recurring potential solutions are raising teacher salaries and more appreciation and respect for teachers across the board.