What are our administrators listening to?

From country to 80’s metal our administrators have eclectic taste in music

Jordan Fielder, Staff Writer

Not only does Principal Leeane Turnbull-Pallette love 80-90s hip hop/pop and country, she also loves Star Wars. (Photo by: K. Trace)

Principal Leeane Turnbull-Pallette

Q: What music genre would you consider to be your favorite, and why?

A: I think I fluctuate between hip 80-90s hip hop/pop and country. In high school and college, I was on a dance team, so upbeat music was always my favorite. It puts me in a good mood when I need it! I was never a fan of country music growing up because it seemed to have a “twangy” sound to me. Somewhere along the way it seems country got hip and added some beat that drew me in. 

Q: What is your favorite song or band from this genre and why?

A: “Don’t Stop Believing” by Journey.  I always like the chorus and message of this song. Don’t stop believing. I thought Steve Perry was cute.  I remember coming home from school to put on MTV in hopes that this song video would be on. If I watched long enough, it did.  I had to record it on my tape player from the radio station!  That makes me feel old!

Q: If a theme song played for you every morning as you walk into Salem what would it be? Why?

A:. “We are Family” by Sister Sledge. We all spend so much time together that I think of the staff and students as my family. I care deeply for the folks in this building.  It is home away from home. Our SunDevil Family is strong, and time and time again, we have shown how we are always there for each other when needed.

Assistant Principals Jairo Padilla and Gregory Moxley channel Run DMC’s classic 1980’s pose. (Photo by: K. Trace)

Assistant Principal Jairo L. Padilla 

A: 80s and 90s Alternative because I was an 80’s kid.  

Q: What is your favorite song or band\ from this genre and why?

A: Nirvana because it propelled my love for alternative music into the 90s.

A: “Smells Like Teen Spirit” – The name of the song says it all, lol.  

Assistant Principal Gregory Moxley 

A: I listen to everything, from bluegrass to underground. There is too much music to limit yourself to just one flavor. If I had to narrow it down, I’d say jazz or jam music. I’m really into the organic elements that are present in both of those genres.

A: I will say that the artist that most opened my mind to the possibilities and powers of music is Prince. The level of talent and musical depth he had is beyond comprehension. 

A: Let’s go way left field on this. You know old school Macho Man Randy Savage from the WWE? He walked out to pomp and circumstance, which is the same song we play at graduation. It’s pretty awesome and makes you feel like a world champion. 

You might not expect it, but Assistant Principal Jennifer Knight listens to heavy metal! (Photo submitted by: J. Knight)

Assistant Principal Jennifer Knight 

A:  It’s a tie between 1970s disco and 1980s heavy metal, both for nostalgic reasons.

A:  Since my son enrolled at Virginia Tech, I’ve been completely entertained by “Enter Sandman” and the Virginia Tech football team’s entrance into home games.  It’s officially the “rockingest” entrance in college football and the VT fans are amazing!

A:  The theme song to “The Price is Right” because I’m a winner every day that I work with the Salem High School students and staff.  It’s always a GREAT day to be a SunDevil.

School Improvement Specialist Margaret Wilson and Academy Coordinator Amy Schuiteboer lip sync into their walkie talkies during lunch on November 28. (Photo by: K. Trace)

Academy Coordinator Amy Schuiteboer

A:80’s baby. The music of my high school and college years. Could listen to that music forever. 

A: Sting as a solo artist but “Every Breath You Take” (Police) is my favorite from that time period. 

A: I arrive early each day because I like a quiet start to the day. Pachelbel’s “Canon” is one of my favorite classical pieces. That piece helps create the peace I need to start the day. 

SIS Margaret Wilson

A: I like so many! Rock and country are my go-to’s. 

A: I like the remix that came out last year of Elton John and Dua Lipa-”Cold Hearted.” I love Billy Joel-”Only the Good Die Young;” Old Dominion-”One Man Band;” The Black Crows-”She Talks to Angels;” Luke Combs-”Beautiful Crazy;” Chainsmokers and Cold Play- “Something Just Like This.” 

Every song has a memory. Good times, special times…makes the song meaningful on a personal level. 

A:  AC/DC-”Thunderstruck” 

Head Guidance Counselor Robert Toran and Student Activities Coordinator Sarah Fernheimer rock out to some Holiday Jams in the Guidance Office. (Photo by: K Trace)

Student Activities Coordinator Sarah D. Fernheimer 

A: Such a tough question! I like 90s hip hop/r&b and country. I am too old to be listening to current hip hop…it hurts my head. I listen to the country when I’m in the mood to sing along. 

A: This is so hard to narrow down! 90s hip/hop – Jay Z…because duh! 90s r&b – can’t do it…too many good ones to choose from, but I love Country – Sugarland because it reminds me of my friends

A: “Run the World” – Beyoncé…because it pumps me up and well because girls run the world! 

Head Guidance Counselor Robert Toran

A: The 80’s had great music for all listeners. The best sounds and groups ever.

A: SOS at the time “Take your Time”. I really enjoyed listening to bands and they had an awesome blend of R&B music. Also, I enjoy listening to Smooth Jazz as well.

A: “Smooth Operator,” by Sade 1984