Senior class president Rj Mendoza

Q&A about being the 2023 senior class president

Emmaly Lemieszek, Design Editor

Q: What is it like being the senior class president?

A: Being class president is pretty simple. You listen to what your fellow seniors want and you bring it up during the monthly meetings. There’s also a lot of planning.

Senior RJ Mendoza waves to the crowd as he passes by during the homecoming parade. He was a member of the 2022 homecoming court. (Photo by: M. Dippery)

Q: What plans do you have for the senior class?

A: There are several plans the class officers are cooking up right now, but they are top secret. However, our main goal is to ensure that our final year goes off in a bang.

Q: What do you dislike about being senior class president?

A: Being president is a double edged sword. First, I have been blamed for things that I have no control over. Secondly, I feel awful when someone comes up to me knowing my name and I have no clue what theirs is. 

Q: What do you like about being senior class president?

A: Not to sound too cliche, but having the ability to have a positive effect on my students really is the cream of the crop.

Senior RJ Mendoza participates with the senior class and SCA. (Photo by: M. Dippery)

Q: What would you suggest for students that are running for class president?
A: You gotta give it your 100%, because being class president is a heavy responsibility. Doing the bare minimum isn’t what leadership is all about. 

Q: What is your favorite memory at Salem? 

A: The homecoming game and the First Colonial at Salem game. Even though I didn’t win homecoming royalty, the fact that “RJ” and “Mr. President” roared through the field is amazing. It’s a once in a lifetime experience.