Harry Potter Movies Ranked

Not all the Harry Potter movies are created equal.

Emmaly Lemieszek, Design Editor

From 1997 to 2007, JK Rowling wrote a series about a magical boy named Harry Potter. In these books, readers are told about the conflicts, triumphs, adventures, and friendships of a young boy. The boy is Harry Potter. Years later, in 2001, the first Harry Potter movie was released.

Growing up, Harry Potter was always on. They were my favorite movies then and now. I find myself watching the whole series at least once a month. Since I have watched the movies so many times, I thought it was about time that I rated the movies from best to worst (in my opinion). I just want to say that all the movies are amazing, but some are just better than others. 

I love how innocent the first couple movies are. Slowly through the series, the characters go through so many challenges, each one taking away their innocence. It starts off with children excited to attend a school of magic, to them having to fight years later and sacrifice their lives.

Here is my rank order from worst to best:

Number 8: Harry Potter and the Chamber of secrets (2002)

I never really liked this movie because I found the storyline boring. I always found myself skipping it when watching the series because nothing really happens. I think the only cool thing is seeing Tom Riddle for the first time and how he became Voldemort. 

Number 7: Harry Potter and the Deathly hallows Part 1 (2010)

This movie feels very long and stretched out. It also has parts I think it didn’t need. I think it was like this because it was an introduction to Part 2. I still really like this movie and what happens in it, but I find it to be a bit boring. 

Number 6: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (2001)

The first movie is so nostalgic. Seeing Hogwarts, the professors, the scenery. I love everything about it. The only reason it is 6th on the list is because there are movies I think are better. 

Number 5: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (2009)

I never really paid attention to this movie because I found it to be a bit depressing. I think it’s because Dumbledore dies and everything falls apart. 

Number 4: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005)

I love how different this movie is. I like that Harry is forced to participate in a set of games instead of the story just being about one set villain and him having to defeat them. I think my favorite part of this movie is the ball scene. You see everyone dancing and having a good time. For once, they’re just having fun and putting their conflicts behind them. 

Number 3: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007)

This is a movie that I watch all the time. I love seeing the students that are a part of Dumbledore’s army come together and learn how to protect themselves when they have no other way to learn. 

Number 2: Harry Potter and the Deathly hallows Part 2 (2011)

This movie is so good! It is very intense. I feel so many emotions when I watch it. My favorite part is when they have a big fight because the visuals are beautiful. It made me love so many characters that I had hated before. 

Number 1: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)

The Prisoner of Azkaban is and will always be my favorite movie because the story is so good. As a kid, I used to actually hate this movie because the ending was so creepy. Seeing a giant werewolf that stands up definitely gave me nightmares, but I still  love everything about it. From the scenes to the music to the characters. I also love that this is the part of the story when the movies begin to go dark and challenging. 

Which Harry Potter movie is your least or most favorite? Leave a comment below.