Advice for juniors

Advice for rising seniors from a current senior

Carla Roby, Managing Editor

Senior year is a lot. It is hard and confusing and fun all at the same time. It will most likely be your most hectic and important year of high school. But don’t fret, it’s manageable and you can make it magical. So, here’s some advice that may help in preparation for senior year. 

Start saving now:

Here are some things you may have to pay for: 

-College applications ($50-80)

-AP exams/ dual enrollment (dual enrollment is $400 AP exams are $95)

-Passion projects (doesn’t necessarily cost money, but can)

-Homecoming tickets ($10)

-Homecoming outfit (varies)

-SunDevil Stars/Sports Tickets/any academy performances (price varies)

-Secret Pals (varies)

-Academy masterclasses (varies)

-College deposit ($200-800)

-Cap and gown ($70 + honor and NHS stoles)

-Yearbook ($85)

-Prom tickets ($65-95)

-Prom outfit (price varies)

-Gradfest ($65-80)

-Gas/food (varies)

A lot of these prices range, especially on college applications and deposits. I would recommend trying to save up some money during the summer specifically for senior year expenses, or telling your parents about the costs to come. Some of these things are also optional like prom and such, but some are mandatory to go through with graduation, like cap and gown. I also added the cost of gas and food because most of you will be driving all around for school and work and eating out with friends a lot, so it’s just something to keep in mind. Senior year probably costs somewhere between $700-$1000 just for school and college related things.. 

Your schedule:

There is no one way your senior year schedule should look. It isn’t like freshman year or even junior year because at this point you have almost everything you need to graduate. All that is mandatory to take is an English class and a government class. 

This is the year you can have late arrival or early release! Use one of these (or both) and think which would be more beneficial to you. If you’re an athlete or in the academy, it may be more efficient to have late arrival. This way you won’t have to leave school then come back for after school activities. If you want to pick up some extra hours at work, early release is probably the best option because you’ll be out of school around 12. Also, don’t overload your class schedule. Have a study block, take the classes you need to graduate, and add a few that you’re interested in. 

Think about the future:

Start thinking about what you are going to do after high school. College? Military? Workforce? Trade school? Whatever it is, just start having a rough idea or where you’re going to be after high school. It may seem far away, but truthfully, it isn’t. 

This piece of advice is for those wishing to go to college: Have a list of schools and visit them if you can. If you can’t, there are online tours of most schools. Have in mind the application prices for them. Make your Common App account now and look at the essay prompts as soon as you can. You don’t have to write it, but if you just begin to think about it, it helps so much in the long run. When you do write it though, just be you in your essay. That’s all they want. 

This is for those who wish to join the military: Think about which branch you would like best. Find your local recruitment officer and begin having meetings with them, so you can learn about the process you’re about to go through. 

This is for those going to the workforce: Begin working on your resume and look at practice interview questions, so you’ll feel more comfortable during the hiring process. 

Some miscellaneous pieces of advice:

Don’t over burden yourself with responsibilities.

Maintain a good work ethic. 

Ask for help when needed.

Senior year is what you make it, so stay present and don’t be afraid to make new friends.