Wrestlers with integrity

Wrestlers and managers see the sport as much more than just physical

Andrew Mizroch, Sports Editor

Wrestling is about more than just brute strength.

Sophomore Adelina Velikova has been a wrestling manager for almost two years now and loves being a part of the team. 

“To be quite honest, I became a part of the wrestling team because I wanted to be part of a family,” said Velikova. “The memories and experiences that you get to have are indescribable. We all love and support each other so much through all of our struggles. I would never trade my time for anything else.”

The team learns a lot more than wrestling moves on the mat.  

“I have learned that practice makes perfect, and that hard work, determination, and perseverance are necessities for succeeding in life,” said junior Dylan Toth

Toth has been wrestling on and off since the sixth grade. Toth trained for months in the offseason to prepare for the upcoming season and is ready to make his mark on the team. 

“I am looking forward to proving myself, and my skill as the season progresses,” said Toth

Lifetouch

Junior Adin Garay hasn’t participated in the sport for as long as Toth, only two years, but he believes that what he learns about himself emotionally is just as important as what he learns physically.

“I’ve learned character from wrestling, and it pushes you to be the best version of yourself,” said Garay. “It also helps you stay humble and obedient throughout everything you go through.”

At the same time, Toth says he is “looking forward to being able to go out there and dominate.” 

In the short time they’ve been together, the team has made a small family amongst each other and started the season off with a 1-0 record.